T5 help

  • Thread starter Thread starter My90Sea
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

My90Sea

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 13, 2014
Messages
83
Reaction score
8
Location
S.C.
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. i tried out a 6 bulb T5 fixture a few months back and didn't get results I thought I would. I was running 2 Blue plus, 2 purple plus, coral plus and Fluval Actinic. my sps grew very fast but my Zoas looked bad. i know there is a acclimation period which i attemped. my tanks are 12" deep and i had 2 layers of egg crate over the tank. the minute i put my LED back over, zoas looked perfect
 
just incase I wasn't clear on my issue. my zoas didn't open well. they were always half closed and I lost a few. but when I put my LEDs back up they liked it and seemed happy.
 
I have a combination AI Sol Blue LEDs and ATI 6 Bulb T5 setup and zoas melt all the time. Palys do great. My tank is too clean for zoas. It isn't always the lighting. there can be many factors. You said you have 2 layers of egg crate over them. Maybe the t5s weren't penetrating through it enough for them and the LEDs did.
 
prsnlty, I see your view. I also have a LED with 2 bulb t5 retro over a 40 breeder and seems like a but much. whats a good hanging distance for T5s?
 
prsnlty, I see your view. I also have a LED with 2 bulb t5 retro over a 40 breeder and seems like a but much. whats a good hanging distance for T5s?
To be honest I have always had mine the same over all my tanks. From bulb to sand bed (a more accurate measurement) is about 34" on all of my tanks. Reefing Madness probably knows more than I on this one :)
 
Anything at 10"-12" would be perfect.
I recommended a 10k on the reasoning that SPS like the all blue lighting, as it penetrates much better than a 10k-12k bulb. Your zoas may not be liking the intense lighting that they put off. So I don't get why your T5s were not working and the LEDs did the trick, unless your T5s are over 9 months old, then I'd say that may be the issue.
 
Anything at 10"-12" would be perfect.
I recommended a 10k on the reasoning that SPS like the all blue lighting, as it penetrates much better than a 10k-12k bulb. Your zoas may not be liking the intense lighting that they put off. So I don't get why your T5s were not working and the LEDs did the trick, unless your T5s are over 9 months old, then I'd say that may be the issue.

I agree. And depending on the hours you have your lights on they could be getting old at 6 months. Something that happened to me once was that my ballast was overamping my bulbs and wore them out in 3 months.
 
parameters are all spot on. the bulbs were brand new. I may want to give it another go but I lost a few pieces which sucked.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%

New Posts

Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new