T5 Hybrid light just not staying lit

TerdalsFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y'all. First time poster. I have a 24" G2 HOT5 hybrid setup made by @AquaticLifeProducts that I have running in tandem with an AI Hydra 32. Two of the four lamps on the same side of the fixture refuse to remain lit, they die within an hour of turning on and I'm about 99% positive that the problem is not the bulbs. The bulbs that were running when I first noticed the issue had been used for about 18 months, so I figured it was a bulb problem, bought 4 new ones, replaced them all and nothing changed. Same half of the fixture was still dead after running a short time. I left the bulbs in place and ran it as normal for about the next week, to be sure that the new bulbs on the other half of the fixture were actually good. After I knew for sure that the bulbs on the other half of the fixture work, I switched the bulbs in pairs to the other sides of the fixture aaaannnnddd...... same problem, they would die after about 5 minutes of being lit. So the new bulbs that I know were working for a full week, now aren't lit and the new ones that were on the dead half of the fixture are now working just fine after being switched to the working half of the fixture. So I'm pretty sure it's not a bulb issue because of that.

I then went through the dead half of the fixture while the power was on, disconnecting one bulb connector at a time until bingo, when I disconnected and reconnected a certain corner connector the lights would light back up, but then die after about 5 minutes. I retried this 2-3 more times just to be sure and its definitely that same connection, none of the other ones make any difference. I inspected the connector in question and it's clean, no visible filth or corrosion, seems to have a tight fit with the bulb and doesn't feel loose. So I'm not entirely sure what is causing the problem.

I checked the power plugs, they aren't loose and I have switch them to different outlets with no change in results.

What do y'all think? Connector issue? Ballast issue? Or do y'all still think its a bulb issue?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back