T5 on 40g long

BarSnackz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, and Merry Christmas!

I just had a couple questions about my current lighting setup on my 40g long. So, I have a 48" 2 bulb fixture on my tank right now that sits right on the frame of my tank (will probably be raised a couple inches when I add my hood on in a few days) and I currently have a Coralife HO Actinic bluelight and a Deep Blue HO daylight bulb in it.
I spent some time at the LFS the other day and they had their frags on sale and was in the market to add a toadstool to my tank that only currently had a mushroom in it. But they didn't have any so the salesman convinced me to get a xenia, montipora, and pavona coral. He insisted that they were all really easy to care for. Come home and do some researching after adding them to my tank that the montipora and pavona are SPS and require a higher lighting demand - so I put them to the top of my tank so they are only about 6" from my t5's.
My question is: what should I change the bulbs in my fixture to? I'm thinking an ATI Blue+ and a Coral Pro?
Will that be sufficient?
I really want to add a 4 bulb fixture so that I will be sitting a little easier but I do not believe that it will fit in my hood as my tank is the same width as a 55g (back to front) ... and I run sumpless.

P.S.: I do plan on purchasing the necessary test kits and dosing accessorizes when it becomes necessary as the SPS take the nutrients from my water.

thanks!

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swap the tubes like to mentioned. They have better par.

Just keep Up on water changes and you should be fine. Not all sps have high light requirements.

If your building a hood or canopy ,
Sounds like you have a re
Do coming anyway.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 93 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back