T5 RETROFIT BULB CHOICE

Jrco226

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I am about to purchase a 2 bulb t5 retrofit kit to supplement my kessil 360. I have no idea what bulbs to choose. This is for my 40 Nuvo, I am custom building the canopy which will have the kessil in the middle with a t5 on each side. Should both bulbs be the same in this case? Should they be different? Thanks for the help in advance!

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm doing the same thing with my new leds. I'm of the opinion that leds do blues well enough that you won't need much actinic supplementation. I'm going to do a 50/50 and a white.

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I am about to purchase a 2 bulb t5 retrofit kit to supplement my kessil 360. I have no idea what bulbs to choose. This is for my 40 Nuvo, I am custom building the canopy which will have the kessil in the middle with a t5 on each side. Should both bulbs be the same in this case? Should they be different? Thanks for the help in advance!
Blue+ an Coral+. Adjust visual color to your taste with the kessil.

OP
OP
J

Jrco226

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am building a kessil t5 combo now. I plan to go with ati full actinic to hit the lower nm range that kessils lack

So I'm relatively new to the hobby and haven't seen much in the way of t5 lighting. I plan or thought to have the t5s running during the peak of the kessil lighting because my retrofit wont be dimmable. I'm not sure if that makes sense but if it does would the bulb selection change. Basically, I wont be there for the most part when the t5s are on.

OP
OP
J

Jrco226

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm doing the same thing with my new leds. I'm of the opinion that leds do blues well enough that you won't need much actinic supplementation. I'm going to do a 50/50 and a white.
What is an example of a 50/50? All these bulbs have weird names.

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm relatively new to the hobby and haven't seen much in the way of t5 lighting. I plan or thought to have the t5s running during the peak of the kessil lighting because my retrofit wont be dimmable. I'm not sure if that makes sense but if it does would the bulb selection change. Basically, I wont be there for the most part when the t5s are on.

The B+ C+ combination is basically just a run of the mill high growth high coloration bulb combo that looks good to most people. There will certainly be benefits to growth and coloration of this, and if you do happen to be home you won't likely find the color offensive unless you prefer very yellow or very blue tanks.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue+ an Coral+. Adjust visual color to your taste with the kessil.
+1
I am building a kessil t5 combo now. I plan to go with ati full actinic to hit the lower nm range that kessils lack
This too
The B+ C+ combination is basically just a run of the mill high growth high coloration bulb combo that looks good to most people. There will certainly be benefits to growth and coloration of this, and if you do happen to be home you won't likely find the color offensive unless you prefer very yellow or very blue tanks.

Both equal this.

OP
OP
J

Jrco226

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will the colors of these 2 bulbs blend well if they are say 8 inch -10 inches apart?

OP
OP
J

Jrco226

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been trying to find a lift system for the canopy but all I can find is a bike version with forked hooks on it. Does anyone know of a wire lift system commonly used? Also, I bought the coral+ and blue+

OP
OP
J

Jrco226

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased the HO Miro-4 Retrofit Kit from BRS. Anyone have any experience or heard anything about them?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased the HO Miro-4 Retrofit Kit from BRS. Anyone have any experience or heard anything about them?

No but BRS doesn't sell junk. You'll like it.

Please.
Make sure you ground correctly and follow the instruction and videos. And ask for help. It's electricity. And it's for saltwater.

OP
OP
J

Jrco226

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No but BRS doesn't sell junk. You'll like it.

Please.
Make sure you ground correctly and follow the instruction and videos. And ask for help. It's electricity. And it's for saltwater.

That's good to hear. Any idea where to start with the height of the fixture? Currently my kessil 360 sits 8 inches off the water. Again, this is not the dimmable version. Im trying to find a pulley system so that it's easily adjustable.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good to hear. Any idea where to start with the height of the fixture? Currently my kessil 360 sits 8 inches off the water. Again, this is not the dimmable version. Im trying to find a pulley system so that it's easily adjustable.
That should be fine, just make sure you cant bump it or splash it. A hand in the water and a hand on the light could zap you. FWIW I dont prefer dimmable t5. I want ALL of the light.
12in would not be bad either.

OP
OP
J

Jrco226

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should be fine, just make sure you cant bump it or splash it. A hand in the water and a hand on the light could zap you. FWIW I dont prefer dimmable t5. I want ALL of the light.
12in would not be bad either.
Awesome, I'm building a canopy so its shouldn't be exposed for me to easily touch it. Thanks for the info.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, I'm building a canopy so its shouldn't be exposed for me to easily touch it. Thanks for the info.
yup. be safe! I think you'll like the upgrade.

Failing a lifter, links in a chain are quite effective.

One More And I’m Out. Is Failure An Option?

• Yes

Votes: 35 15.2%
  • No

Votes: 169 73.5%
  • Unsure

Votes: 26 11.3%

Back