Tail spot blenny in a 30 long?

peewee5779

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recently got rid of my mated pair of clownfish and want to replace them. I got a carpenter wrasse and was looking to get a tail spot blenny as well. I have a 30 long and was wondering if it was too small of a tank. I also have a royal gramma and exquisite fire fish. I want to keep my fish at 4.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tailspot blenny is absolutely fine in a 30 long. A TSB is fine for most nano tanks. I recommend getting a dry barnacle and gluing it into the rockwork. The TSB will love you for it. Otherwise, lots of rock structure and hidey holes are fine. A TSB and an exquisite firefish were my 10g nano fish before I moved them to a 40 long with wrasses.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The guy at my LFS didn't want to sell the blenny to me because of the size of my tank.
Not sure why. 4 small fish in a 30 is fine. Blenny just perch on rocks and hang out. They aren't big swimmers all around the tank. They just claim their little bit of reef.

OP
OP
peewee5779

peewee5779

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tailspot blenny is absolutely fine in a 30 long. A TSB is fine for most nano tanks. I recommend getting a dry barnacle and gluing it into the rockwork. The TSB will love you for it. Otherwise, lots of rock structure and hidey holes are fine. A TSB and an exquisite firefish were my 10g nano fish before I moved them to a 40 long with wrasses.
Sounds great, I will go back and get him. I was really questioning his response, I think the TSB will be fine. How is it any different than having a big clown fish!

OP
OP
peewee5779

peewee5779

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why. 4 small fish in a 30 is fine. Blenny just perch on rocks and hang out. They aren't big swimmers all around the tank. They just claim their little bit of reef.
That's what I thought but he said it wouldn't do well. I am going to go back tomorrow and get the little fellow, should have gotten him yesterday and went with my own gut.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I thought but he said it wouldn't do well. I am going to go back tomorrow and get the little fellow, should have gotten him yesterday and went with my own gut.
I just lost mine but had him almost 3 years so guess he just reached his age limit. They are tough little guys.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I just recently got rid of my mated pair of clownfish and want to replace them. I got a carpenter wrasse and was looking to get a tail spot blenny as well. I have a 30 long and was wondering if it was too small of a tank. I also have a royal gramma and exquisite fire fish. I want to keep my fish at 4.
No issue with this as they get max 2.5 - 3" and they need algae more than rocks as they stay out in the open. Assure they get meaty foods also such as plankton, mysis shrimp and formula 2 frozen

BlueSkyAT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine swims all over my 120g. Yes he does perch sometimes, but there isn`t an inch of that tank he doesn`t go.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine swims all over my 120g. Yes he does perch sometimes, but there isn`t an inch of that tank he doesn`t go.
Mine would swim around but not costant like other fish. Just pecking rocks for algae and then perching and watching. He was a cool fish.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back