Take a Tip, Leave a Tip: Flying Your Reef Without Crashing

Which best describes the primary engine that drives your reef?? (Choose all that apply)

  • Triton (other or normal) Method

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Refugium

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Traditional Dosing — 2-part, 3-part, or Balling

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Calcium Reactor

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Good Ol' Water Changes

    Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Carbon Dosing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • All-in-one balanced dosing (e.g., All-For-Reef)

    Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Other Engine

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    3

Poseidon03

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 7, 2019
Messages
828
Reaction score
699
Location
Indiana
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes it feels like a reef tank is an aircraft that's constantly trying to crash itself. Something is always changing, something eventually goes wrong, and just when you think you've figured everything out, your tank finds a new way to humble you. Sometimes we're trying to keep the plane in the air; other times, we're the ones making questionable mid-flight adjustments.

Over time, we learn which methods, equipment, and routines actually work over the long haul. But how do we build a reef that doesn't just grow beautiful corals, but stays reliable and manageable for years?

I'd like this thread to collect the hobby's hard-earned experience and inspire people to solve problems, improve their systems, and avoid some of the expensive lessons many of us have already learned. I'm also hoping to learn from everyone here as I make decisions about my own system.

Share your successes, failures, favorite equipment, maintenance routines, clever DIY solutions, expensive lessons, or the little things that made the biggest difference. That includes everything from dosing and nutrient management to plumbing, automation, refugiums, phytoplankton and copepod cultures, and other support systems that help keep a reef thriving. Even unusual projects—like culturing appropriate live foods for specialized fish or nudibranchs—could give someone else an idea worth exploring.

Quick tips are just as welcome as detailed breakdowns. If you've built a setup that makes maintenance easier, figured out how to keep a culture going, or found a better way to solve a stubborn problem, tell us about it. Photos of tanks, equipment, plumbing, culture stations, and DIY builds are always welcome.

SPS and Acropora keepers are especially encouraged to share, but LPS and soft-coral keepers are absolutely welcome too. A lot of what makes a reef sustainable applies across the hobby.

My view is that long-term stability isn't about finding a magic set of numbers or reaching a maintenance-free state. It's about understanding your system, recognizing when something is drifting, and making thoughtful corrections without constantly chasing every fluctuation.

Take a tip, leave a tip. Let's compare notes, learn from each other's mistakes, and keep a few more reef planes flying for the long haul!
 
My tank has been on auot pilot for few years. Sometimes i wished it would crash
Vintage Fail GIF by US National Archives
 
My Background, Current System, and What I'm Trying to Improve

System quick reference

**Display:** Innovative Marine EXT75
**Sump / ATO reservoir:** Trigger Systems Triton 26 / Triton 5-gallon
**Skimmer:** Nyos Quantum 160
**Lighting:** 3 × EcoTech Radion XR15 G5 Blue
**Flow:** 2 × EcoTech MP40
**Controller:** Neptune Apex
**Testing:** Trident (alkalinity, calcium, magnesium) and Trident NP (nitrate, phosphate)
**Current dosing:** Two-part and Red Sea trace elements, hand-dosed
**Nutrient management:** NP-Bacto-Balance and water changes
**Total system volume:** Approximately 80 gallons
* **Water storage:** 55 gallons of mixed saltwater plus 55 gallons of fresh RO/DI

Note: please don't kill me for the tangs in a 75 gallon. I plan on consistently rotating them with smaller ones for the algae control until I upgrade again. I've worked this out with the LFS manager. I also try to maintain an open scape with multiple swimming spaces to break up aggression.

I'm transitioning toward a more manageable, SPS-dominant system and still deciding which long-term husbandry approach makes the most sense.

What I've learned from my previous system

I've been reefing since 2017 and have spent the last several years experimenting with different approaches to coral keeping, including growing SPS frags into substantial colonies.

My previous system was a 240-gallon acrylic aquarium. It grew coral successfully, but I made the mistake of treating maintenance as something to figure out after the system was built.

Cleaning stubborn algae off the acrylic became difficult, especially after vacations. The tank was tall, the heavy hood was awkward to remove alone, and servicing the skimmer properly meant working underneath the tank because I couldn't remove it without dealing with the sump. I also hadn't planned for how I'd house the livestock if the acrylic ever needed refinishing.

Even water changes were a chore. My mixing station was in a back room on the opposite side of the house, so I had to haul buckets. A 10% change on a 240-gallon display meant moving 24 gallons of water.

The lesson? A reef can be biologically successful without being sustainable for the person maintaining it. I want to design maintenance, equipment access, and water changes into the system from the beginning.

We're expecting our third child, so I want a reef that fits our lives and that I can maintain consistently. I'd love a large tank again someday, but right now, manageability matters more than size.

What I'm still figuring out

**Refugiums:** I've tried keeping one for years. Chaetomorpha often grows extremely well initially, then eventually melts away and nuisance algae takes over. I didn't consistently keep it tumbling, and I've wondered whether trace elements were involved, but I don't know the cause. If you've maintained a productive refugium for years, what has made the biggest difference?

**Bare-bottom and mandarins:** I'm considering going bare-bottom for higher flow and easier maintenance, but I have two mandarins in my 240-gallon tank that I want to move into the new system. How do you maintain copepods and a reliable food supply in bare-bottom or shallow-sand SPS tanks?

**Dosing and nutrients:** I've tried kalkwasser, two-part, and different trace-element products. I like NP-Bacto-Balance and want to avoid bottoming out nutrients; my personal reference ranges are roughly 10–20 ppm nitrate and 0.05–0.15 ppm phosphate. I'm interested in Triton and other integrated approaches, especially how experienced users handle trace elements such as iron when their demand may not track alkalinity consumption. I also want to improve pH, but kalkwasser has repeatedly caused clogging problems with my dosing equipment.

**Testing and automation:** I have a Trident and Trident NP, but my NP results haven't been consistently reliable. How do you verify questionable readings and decide which tasks are worth automating?

**Support systems and maintenance:** I'm considering getting back into phytoplankton and copepod culturing, and I'm interested in practical builds that make reefkeeping easier—from culture stations to remote water-change plumbing and emergency water storage. Even specialized live-food cultures, such as properly contained *Aiptasia* for animals that depend on it, are interesting examples of the supporting systems reefers develop.

What does long-term stability mean to you?

We often hear “don't chase numbers", but that doesn't mean ignoring parameters or letting the tank do whatever it wants. To me, it means understanding the system, making intentional adjustments, and giving those changes time to work instead of constantly reacting to every fluctuation.

I don't believe every successful SPS tank needs identical numbers or the same equipment. The goal is to understand what works for your system and build a routine that remains practical over time.

I'd love to hear what has worked for you, what failed, and what you'd do differently if you were starting over. You don't have to answer every question. Share a favorite piece of equipment, a maintenance shortcut, a successful culture build, or a hard-earned lesson. Photos and practical build details are always welcome.

The goal isn't to find one perfect way to reef. It's to learn from each other's experience and k
eep a few more reef planes flying for the long haul.



1000037117.jpg
 
Anyone kept a refugium long term successfully? Do you manage trace, water changes or just let it go? What algae do you use? How often to you pull out the algae? Is it high or low flow? What light do you use? What intensity if it's controllable or what spectrum?

Would love to get more information on them for sure.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 14 42.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 2 6.1%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 6.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new