OP
OP
hyeclass

hyeclass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks of the info. So you are manually dosing Kalk... got it! After you do your big water change, take an Alk reading. For the next few days, be sure not dose any Kalk, don’t do any water changes and please report back with your Alkalinity readings, preferably taken at the same time every day.
when you say big water change how many gal should i do got 140 tank 40 gal 30 gal water change?

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just took this pics just now black friday is coming up I am thinking to get corals by the time they come it should be ok I'll don2 water changes
What do you think
Even with black friday discounts you'll come out ahead by waiting once you count losses from instability. I think you are spot on by watching for 3 months, specifically if you are going to be targeting sps again.

I'd start off with smaller water changes at first around 10% daily. Those are going to make the most difference mixing 8.5 to 13 dkh water and at larger volumes will created pretty big drop offs in alkalinity! Probably for the first 5-7 days stick to 10% and that'll leave you closer to 10 dkh (rough guesstimate). From there larger water changes will be less drastic to your parameters but still don't try to swing them too quickly.

Also with LPS (looks like the majority of what you have left) you wont want to pull your nutrients to fast. Once you get down to 8.5-9 really start off slow with that calcium reactor with a high ph and slow effluent and test alk daily, calcium mag weekly unless you notice on changing drastically.

If you ph stays low after turning the reactor off we need to troubleshoot from there. There is no reason for your tank's ph to naturally settle so low. You either have a co2 issue inside that room or a water quality problem. Keep an eye on your ph trend as you're doing these water changes to see if you are getting small bumps directly after.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you ph stays low after turning the reactor off we need to troubleshoot from there. There is no reason for your tank's ph to naturally settle so low. You either have a co2 issue inside that room or a water quality problem. Keep an eye on your ph trend as you're doing these water changes to see if you are getting small bumps directly after.

OP was using a calcium reactor without an full understanding of how it can influence pH. My suggestion is to complete whatever water changes and then measure alkalinity for several days to get a baseline measurement of Alk consumption. In the meantime, forget what the pH reading is. Chasing pH at this stage in the process is a fool’s errand IMO.

OP
OP
hyeclass

hyeclass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even with black friday discounts you'll come out ahead by waiting once you count losses from instability. I think you are spot on by watching for 3 months, specifically if you are going to be targeting sps again.

I'd start off with smaller water changes at first around 10% daily. Those are going to make the most difference mixing 8.5 to 13 dkh water and at larger volumes will created pretty big drop offs in alkalinity! Probably for the first 5-7 days stick to 10% and that'll leave you closer to 10 dkh (rough guesstimate). From there larger water changes will be less drastic to your parameters but still don't try to swing them too quickly.

Also with LPS (looks like the majority of what you have left) you wont want to pull your nutrients to fast. Once you get down to 8.5-9 really start off slow with that calcium reactor with a high ph and slow effluent and test alk daily, calcium mag weekly unless you notice on changing drastically.

I am not going to turn the calcium reactor on till i get sps and tank running smooth and stable, NOT going to dos anything, what comes to the water change you're right, 10% for 1 week,

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately this sounds like a case of putting the cart before the horse. Went an bought a bunch of expensive stuff before you understood the basics, a d why you would need one thing over another. That's the down side to this culture we are creating of anyone can do it and it's easy just buy this piece of equipment or this set up. Everyone should have to start with a nano. 40 gallons or less. For minimum of one year. Would save a lot of money and livestock. But we have a hobby who's average turnover is 6 months and companies, influencers will tell you if you're going to get started go big, buy the best first, and only a 1500 dollar setup or more will do. Not a fun place to be in my opinion.

But what do I know. I am a cheapo.

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP was using a calcium reactor without an full understanding of how it can influence pH. My suggestion is to complete whatever water changes and then measure alkalinity for several days to get a baseline measurement of Alk consumption. In the meantime, forget what the pH reading is. Chasing pH at this stage in the process is a fool’s errand IMO.
I agreed until I ran into ph near OP, it wasnt due to co2 either. Lost lots of sps to rtn and stn for months.

I understand and assume the same thing but with all the die off he's had in 5k of livestock he could have a water quality issue driving is ph low as well. Which is why he does need to keep an eye on that ph value to see if there is a change without running that reactor. There's no harm in watching it no need to chase anything but in my experience if you are truly dropping below 7.7 at night you are running serious risks with coral

OP
OP
hyeclass

hyeclass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately this sounds like a case of putting the cart before the horse. Went an bought a bunch of expensive stuff before you understood the basics, a d why you would need one thing over another. That's the down side to this culture we are creating of anyone can do it and it's easy just buy this piece of equipment or this set up. Everyone should have to start with a nano. 40 gallons or less. For minimum of one year. Would save a lot of money and livestock. But we have a hobby who's average turnover is 6 months and companies, influencers will tell you if you're going to get started go big, buy the best first, and only a 1500 dollar setup or more will do. Not a fun place to be in my opinion.

i did start with cube, then i went BIG, i am a smart guy, even smart people make mistakes unfortunately

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not going to turn the calcium reactor on till i get sps and tank running smooth and stable, NOT going to dos anything, what comes to the water change you're right, 10% for 1 week,
Pretty good plan. Let your tank stabilize with water changes. If your ph rises and you notice consumption I see no reason not to run your reactor with or without sps, just be sure there is measurable consumption first.

OP
OP
hyeclass

hyeclass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agreed until I ran into ph near OP, it wasnt due to co2 either. Lost lots of sps to rtn and stn for months.

I understand and assume the same thing but with all the die off he's had in 5k of livestock he could have a water quality issue driving is ph low as well. Which is why he does need to keep an eye on that ph value to see if there is a change without running that reactor. There's no harm in watching it no need to chase anything but in my experience if you are truly dropping below 7.7 at night you are running serious risks with coral

what do you expect, corals weren't taking a lot of calcium and i got the calcium running my tank was almost empty. talking to i suppose they're experts, said get a kal and dos it, NOT knowing my dkh will go sky high.

the thing is, if you don't have a lot of corals and you dosing what you think it's going to happen

OP
OP
hyeclass

hyeclass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty good plan. Let your tank stabilize with water changes. If your ph rises and you notice consumption I see no reason not to run your reactor with or without sps, just be sure there is measurable consumption first.

i am having issues with my ph being low, right now let me check with apax see where it's @ 7.65 i am in California LA woodland hills time is 1:20pm

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

True to a point! Research is needed but that doesn't mean someone can't start with the system they actually want and good equipment in the first place. They just need to fully understand it. You'll see posts all the time about people trying to save a buck and buying something that doesn't work only to pay for what they should have purchased in the first place. I'm guilty of that for sure! It's all about research and honestly personal experience. Sometimes these things happen and we just need to learn from it.

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i did start with cube, then i went BIG, i am a smart guy, even smart people make mistakes unfortunately
That is very true. More commenting on the attitude of original poster. This I don't get it so must be the equipment.

Also admittedly I may be a little bit jaded. I have seen many times someone new to the hobby spend thousands because they got excited and the internet told them they needed it. To only ignore advice and have and algae farm 3 months later. Then turn around 6 months later to blame the equipment, store, weather, etc..

Then they try and sell there stuff for what they paid and get upset they can't sell used equipment for new prices.

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am having issues with my ph being low, right now let me check with apax see where it's @ 7.65 i am in California LA woodland hills time is 1:20pm
And that's insanely low, and if a accurate reading something you need to be concerned about. How far into your photoperiod are you?

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True to a point! Research is needed but that doesn't mean someone can't start with the system they actually want and good equipment in the first place. They just need to fully understand it. You'll see posts all the time about people trying to save a buck and buying something that doesn't work only to pay for what they should have purchased in the first place. I'm guilty of that for sure! It's all about research and honestly personal experience. Sometimes these things happen and we just need to learn from it.
Very true, but the education from starting small and making mistakes is huge. You have to do a lot of research to be able to be your own filter. And sometimes you just don't know till you try.

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very true, but the education from starting small and making mistakes is huge. You have to do a lot of research to be able to be your own filter. And sometimes you just don't know till you try.
Very true, double edged sword in that way :) more volume = more stability but harder to correct. I started off with nanos and can appreciate the added water volume i have now.

RC Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is another example of people feeling, or being convinced they need to cram "all the stuff" inside their tank before there's a real need for it. Then when problems do arise (and they always do) not being able to define what's causing the issues.

IMHO, don't add equipment to your tank until there's a specific need. Watch, be aware and let the tank point out what it needs, then solve that need or problem.

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is another example of people feeling, or being convinced they need to cram "all the stuff" inside their tank before there's a real need for it. Then when problems do arise (and they always do) not being able to define what's causing the issues.

IMHO, don't add equipment to your tank until there's a specific need. Watch, be aware and let the tank point out what it needs, then solve that need or problem.
Experience talking!!...But you have to earn that experience.

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very true, double edged sword in that way :) more volume = more stability but harder to correct. I started off with nanos and can appreciate the added water volume i have now.
I completely agree. I did the same thing.

I just don't always think the start with a 500 if that's what you ultimately want mentality that is drummed into people is the right way. A nano can go south fast but a 75 percent water change is easy. And you can argue that a smaller tank like a 20 would be good to start so you have the chance to learn from mistakes and correct them fast.

Water volume is nice but a 250 gallon water change to correct a mistake is a big ask for most.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back