Taking Frags off of their plugs

Truett Burns

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wondering if I can remove my newly bought frags from their plugs and attach them directly to the new rocks. If so whats the best way to go about this?

Luis Figueroa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use some bone cutters from Walmart, just get as close as possible to the bottom of the frag. Then use super glue gel with epoxy to stick on rock.

Luis Figueroa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say as long as the coral hasn't encrusted onto the plug you can. If it has encrusted you'll have to lose some that remains on the plug after you cut it off.

Brs has a YouTube video that shows how to use super glue underwater. It forms a bubble in the water, I've never tried it that way tho.

jamesk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say as long as the coral hasn't encrusted onto the plug you can. If it has encrusted you'll have to lose some that remains on the plug after you cut it off.

Brs has a YouTube video that shows how to use super glue underwater. It forms a bubble in the water, I've never tried it that way tho.
The thicker the gel you use, the better. I've done it. It's not messy or anything, but watch out for any chunks that float away. I jammed my impeller temporarily when a bubble got sucked into the powerhead.

Andrewalex11

Reef Technology
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I literally use a very sharp hand-made butterfly knife that I acquired from the service to very slowly and gently lift the frag off the plug. Once you find a good corner that you can get under its pretty easy. Make sure you do it over your coral dip tub or something because you don't want it hitting the floor by accident!

When placing frags I always just dip clean with the plug on though so I can set the entire thing in tests spots in the tank. It's really annoying coming to the conclusion that a coral isn't doing so great in one spot and should be moved to another AFTER you had already glued it in. After I see it's doing great in one spot in particular then I glue that sucker on the rockwork.

Tanda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a huge fan of AquaForest AF PolyGlue. Its little pellets that you put in a small cup of hot water till clear, approx 1 minute. Any unused product can go back in the jar to be used later.

Back