Tale of 3 Gonis

brclark82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased my first Gonis. 2 I picked out and the 3rd was a freebie from a mystery box for buying the other 2.

They were all 3 out in my tank around a month ago. I have found that maybe placing them as close as I did isn’t a good long term idea but hasn’t had any impact so far.

As you can see from the pic the far left one (the freebie) is completely gone. He opened and looked like he was doing great from day one and then about a week in just never opened again. And now you see him.

The middle one is still alive but still after a month has never gotten much more than just the Tips of his tentacles out, no stretching out of the trunk from the base at all. (Im sure tentacles and trunk aren’t the correct terms but it’s what I came up with)

And the far right (luckily my favorite one) is thriving And has actually gotten a decent amount bigger in just the month I’ve had it.

That are sitting is light flow and around 100 PAR.

I do have elevated Phospates around 0.5 (yes not .05 but 0.5) but everything else in my tank is doing great (Zoas, hammers, torch’s, Duncan, bubble tip)

Nitrates hover in the 10-15 range Alk 9.3-9.6, Calc- 425, I did battle low mag for a while but it’s in the 1300-1350 range now

I feed reef chili about twice a week and have enough fish to produce a decent amount of waste.

Anyway just another example that on literally the exact same conditions, coming from the exact same conditions you can get 3 different results.

IMG_0775.jpeg

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel your pain. I have a couple of micro gonis that’s aren’t doing well, with two regular ones that are doing great. Not sure what’s going on. Last night I moved them to a shaded spot because even at low 100s PAR they’re on their way out

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back