1 goni not opening 1 goni has a brown on it

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got these 2 gonis from a local reef show. They have been in my tank for 3 days and the pink gonis have not opened once, and the ones next to them have opened but you can see a brown film over a couple polps and they haven’t opened. I have a goni right next to it doing great, and another goni in the tank doing great. Should I do a coral rx dip, iodine dip, move them, or leave them?
IMG_3094.jpeg

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
goni's each have different likes/dislikes. much like acro's! you may have to move it around until you find a good spot for it. the "brown" you see is likely past die-off that has grown algae on it.
Gotcha so don’t worry because the others are open? I just didn’t know if it was the despised,
brown jelly, but don’t know much about it so don’t wanna say that.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Gotcha so don’t worry because the others are open? I just didn’t know if it was the despised,
brown jelly, but don’t know much about it so don’t wanna say that.
i mean it IS closed, so you can definitely be concerned. keep water parameters stable, and if it gets worse maybe a light dipping of iodine every other day can help. BUT they've only been in your tank for 3 days, so it could just be getting used to its new spot/tank.

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i mean it IS closed, so you can definitely be concerned. keep water parameters stable, and if it gets worse maybe a light dipping of iodine every other day can help. BUT they've only been in your tank for 3 days, so it could just be getting used to its new spot/tank.
Alrighty will do, just did a parameter test and everything is in line, so will just keep an eye out. Once I got it at the show it was closed but the vendor swore it was because he kept putting his hands in the tank. Just hope I didn’t get lied to is the main reason I’m slightly worried at day 3.
Have you ever done iodine dip on gonis? If so how sensitive are they and how long? I’ve only done zoas and you can basically nuke them in iodine and they are fine

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Have you ever done iodine dip on gonis? If so how sensitive are they and how long? I’ve only done zoas and you can basically nuke them in iodine and they are fine
i do 1 liter water(tank water), and place enough drops in the water until it turns to a light "tea" color. use a small pipette to move water around and get the iodine into the small crevices of the coral. then leave in the water for about 5-10min. you can make the water darker by placing more drops. do note, this is with the brightwells lugol's iodine as it is in a higher concentration than others.

yeah zoa's are significantly more robust and can handle a lot of neglect/abuse lol.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back