Brown Jelly Disease

rongy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hi reefers, I have two Goni and one button scoly infected with BJD. One Goni melted completely over night. Another Goni and button scoly melted half way. I dipped them both in lugol’s iodine.

I do not have a hospital tank, and they were temporarily placed in one corner away from other corals. Is it worth saving them? Not sure what’s the chance of infection to other euphyllia and gonis.

Water Parameters:
Salinity: 1.025
Nitrate: 10
Phosphate: 0.04
Calcium: 410
Alk: 7.3
Mag: 1290
PH: 8

Last edited:

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BJD is a bacteria infection that is caused by an unhealthy tank environment. This means your parameters are way off and your corals are struggling. This results in their immune system being compromised and allows BJD to invade. All your euphyllia are at risk now.

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BJD is a bacteria infection that is caused by an unhealthy tank environment. This means your parameters are way off and your corals are struggling. This results in their immune system being compromised and allows BJD to invade. All your euphyllia are at risk now.
This is not true at all. My tank was very healthy, but the flow for one of the euphillias wasn't good, which caused damage to the skeleton and this resulted in BJD. Parameters being off is simply one of the so many possible problems.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not true at all. My tank was very healthy, but the flow for one of the euphillias wasn't good, which caused damage to the skeleton and this resulted in BJD. Parameters being off is simply one of the so many possible problems.
Uh flow is a parameter too. You need to research the topic better. I've experienced BJD several times over the years ans successfully treated my tank with ciprofloaxin to stop it but also had to correct my parameters too.

I will add that there is no definite scientific proof on BJD causes but a lot of hobbyists believe the tank environment is a primary causal factor.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rongy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The parameters are quite stable in my tank, at least no unreasonable swing. I ordered Goni pack online from someone, and one of the Goni got brown jelly (the one that melted overnight) and infected other corals.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The parameters are quite stable in my tank, at least no unreasonable swing. I ordered Goni pack online from someone, and one of the Goni got brown jelly (the one that melted overnight) and infected other corals.
What are your complete numbers? It is possible to bring a new coral in that is infected already also.

OP
OP
R

rongy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
What are your complete numbers? It is possible to bring a new coral in that is infected already also.
Water Parameters:

Do you think it’s worth saving those corals? I know the survival rate is low

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s probably what caused it, did you dip the Goni before adding it to the tank? Get Bayers pest killer
Post pics to show damage

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water Parameters:

Do you think it’s worth saving those corals? I know the survival rate is low
Numbers seem good although phosphate could be 0 given the test ratio error margin which may cause euphyllia stress who prefer dirty water. flow or lights are the next area of concern. When I had my BJD it was spreading fast to other euphyllia so I pulled and tossed the infected ones then treated tank with ciprofloaxin.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As @Lavey29 said, get some cipro, run at 0.500 mg per gallon, dose after lights out 3x every other night.
I give a dose during the 1st day I see it, and another after light out, doubke dose 1st day. My practice, not official protocol.
Somewhere your bacteria (arcobacter) is of of whack, any stress, mechanical or environmental can cause bjd.
I dont think dipping helps as it is another stressor.

OP
OP
R

rongy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Numbers seem good although phosphate could be 0 given the test ratio error margin which may cause euphyllia stress who prefer dirty water. flow or lights are the next area of concern. When I had my BJD it was spreading fast to other euphyllia so I pulled and tossed the infected ones then treated tank with ciprofloaxin.
Where did you get ciprofloaxin? Don’t think there’s easy way to get it in US

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get ciprofloaxin? Don’t think there’s easy way to get it in US
Online vet store
20231008_163427.jpg

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that some parameter change (nutrients, water parameters, lighting, flow) lead to stress of the coral and then injury/necrosis of tissue to allow the bacteria to invade the tissue. Happened to me a few weeks ago with my prized gold torch after fluconazole treatment. A week later to my heliofungia due to flow lifting part of its tissue. If you don’t have access to cipro then I recommend discarding any infected corals immediately. Iodine/betadine was worthless for me.

RIP
1000000052.jpeg

OP
OP
R

rongy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I agree that some parameter change (nutrients, water parameters, lighting, flow) lead to stress of the coral and then injury/necrosis of tissue to allow the bacteria to invade the tissue. Happened to me a few weeks ago with my prized gold torch after fluconazole treatment. A week later to my heliofungia due to flow lifting part of its tissue. If you don’t have access to cipro then I recommend discarding any infected corals immediately. Iodine/betadine was worthless for me.

RIP
1000000052.jpeg
Thank you! Just ordered aqua Cipro. Going to discard the infected corals

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered. What’s the recommended dosage? And how long should I be dosing?
Depends on tank size. Mine is 80g systems. I dissolved one 125mg pill in cup of saltwater and dosed after lights out. Skimmer can Stay on but remove chemical media. I did 3 total doses over 6 days so basically one dissolved pill every other day after lights out.

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uh flow is a parameter too. You need to research the topic better. I've experienced BJD several times over the years ans successfully treated my tank with ciprofloaxin to stop it but also had to correct my parameters too.

I will add that there is no definite scientific proof on BJD causes but a lot of hobbyists believe the tank environment is a primary causal factor.
BJD is a bacteria infection that is caused by an unhealthy tank environment. This means your parameters are way off
Flow might be a parameter, but in your context it's not about the flow of water. I seriously doubt the "tank environment" is unhealthy when you have less flow somewhere. Neither are your parameters "way off".

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flow might be a parameter, but in your context it's not about the flow of water. I seriously doubt the "tank environment" is unhealthy when you have less flow somewhere. Neither are your parameters "way off".
I killed off torches and hammers early on with to much flow so I learned early on that flow is a parameter that needs to be monitored also as corals grown and flow patterns change due to their sizes now. I can visually see where my flow has decreased in my tank due to coral growth. This can lead to coral stress and then possibly BJD too.

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I killed off torches and hammers early on with to much flow so I learned early on that flow is a parameter that needs to be monitored also as corals grown and flow patterns change due to their sizes now. I can visually see where my flow has decreased in my tank due to coral growth. This can lead to coral stress and then possibly BJD too.
Correct, but the way you phrased it seemed that you were targeting water parameters. That's my POV. Not saying you are incorrect, merely stating that the original post of yours came across as something different.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct, but the way you phrased it seemed that you were targeting water parameters. That's my POV. Not saying you are incorrect, merely stating that the original post of yours came across as something different.
You are right, should have specified better. When you say parameters people think of just water and there are other variables such as light and flow that form the bases for overall parameters too. Thanks for pointing this out in my post.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 29 36.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 31.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back