Brown Jelly Disease Fallow Period

KyleC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Not sure what forum's best for this query.

I acquired some macroalgae (chaeto and culpera) from a fellow reefer. They have BJD in their tank... so I've decided to quarantine the macroalgae before adding it to my DT refugium.

I get it's best to use sterile macro for refugiums but decided to try quarantine. This might help with other fish/coral diseases/pests, but will it also allow the BJD to die off? No fish in QT tank... but I do have some rock with gsp (don't care if it dies as it's unwanted).

Obviously the presence of coral will prolong the disease, but if I remove the coral... will the BJD die off, and be safe to move macro to DT? If so, what's the 'fallow' period?

Maybe leaving the gsp in is a good idea as it will be an indicator of if/when the BJD is gone?

Thanks

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nobody in reefing can control any aspect of bjd

so any answer anyone gives will sound like they have a plan or some knowledge on it, and they don’t

don’t use anything from a bjd tank

the only reaction this hobby knows for bjd is to desperately dump cipro in the tank, and wait with crossed fingers. this hobby couldn’t possibly be more helpless in the matter and without resource

it’s a scourge, you’re about to kill your corals.

there is no author, reef sage, aquarist, macna speaker, owner of a trendy DNA testing company who fleeces buyers thinking his tests matter in reefing or anyone living with an ounce of bjd knowledge they’re simply helpless to its power and nobody can control any aspect of its cause or remediation. = playing with fire here yep.
B

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nobody can tell you it’s dormancy phase, how long to fallow against it, what treatments work, what it is, Im saying the hobby simply cannot comment on it in any real way because nobody can control it. Anyone who beat it got lucky, and can’t repeat the measures for someone else’s tank. Pure helplessness is where we stand on it.

OP
OP
KyleC

KyleC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
God.... why did I add it to my QT (slaps forehead).

I wasn't aware of the BJD until I got to their house, and had no prior knowledge/experience of BJD before tbh.

Now I feel like I'd be best stripping down my QT to start over, drying the rock out etc...

Can't bring myself to do it just now... what a pain. Think I'll just observe this gsp and see what happens... but safe to say nothing is going into my DT from this QT now until it's all sterilised :(

Thanks for the info dude!

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back