BJD and Ricordea

mossanimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had what looks like BJD ravage through a whole beautiful rock garden of Metallic Green Ricordea, melting them all within 4 days. It also killed a few of those common orangish brown Discosoma. I have a few other Rhodactis and large unidentified purple ones that seem to be unaffected. It started with a brownish gray scum around the perimeter and went quickly to melt down with a pile of brownish gray slime leftover. The rest of the tank looks awesome. How species specific are these disease outbreaks? Do I need to be concerned about my other corals (Xenia, Leather, zoas, Montis, Pavona, GSP)??

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
BJD is allegedly a single type of bacteria (or rather, was identified to be the main cause of BJD). i would treat accordingly as this could potentially spread to other corals.

OP
OP
mossanimal

mossanimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BJD is allegedly a single type of bacteria (or rather, was identified to be the main cause of BJD). i would treat accordingly as this could potentially spread to other corals.
It's also possible that what I'm seeing isn't even BJD. I wish I could've gotten pictures. It's possible that the brown scum I'm seeing is just their decomposed tissue. It's been a couple of days and everything else looks great still.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
It's also possible that what I'm seeing isn't even BJD. I wish I could've gotten pictures. It's possible that the brown scum I'm seeing is just their decomposed tissue. It's been a couple of days and everything else looks great still.
it could just be mulm/detritus dusting off as well. but if everything is still doing fine, i wouldn't worry too much but continue observing for changes

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back