GSP closed, Zoa and Ricordea Yuma shrinking

  • Thread starter Thread starter Vlad12
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Vlad12

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 3, 2025
Messages
23
Reaction score
32
Location
Romania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

I started my journey with saltwater about 8 months ago. It was a slow process—the cycling took me a long time. I added live rock and one coral (GSP) in April, and this coral is doing great. Then I added more corals in June, and they also did well. Later, I added even more, including a Candy Cane coral and several soft corals.

Everything was looking great, but during testing I noticed that my phosphate (PO₄) levels were very low—undetectable on my Salifert test. I began dosing PO₄ and started acclimating two molly fish to saltwater, hoping they would naturally increase the phosphate levels in the tank.

After acclimation, I added the mollies to the tank and turned off the wavemaker to reduce their stress. One of the molly fish died, maybe I did not acclimated right . I kept the wavemaker off for a week to avoid stressing the remaining molly.

About a month ago, I added a toadstool coral and turned the wavemaker back on. After that, my Ricordea yuma and Discosoma corals started to shrink. I suspected the flow from the wavemaker was too strong, so I turned it off again. About five days ago, my GSP frags closed up, and now my Zoas are shrinking as well. I’ve done extra water changes, but I’m not sure what else to do. I test my water very often, but it's hard to tell from the Salifert test if my PO₄ is below 0.03 ppm—it’s difficult to read at such low levels. Doing a big water change will just crash my po4 again. I want to increase my alkalinity slowly with all for reef starting tomorrow.

My candy cane look unaffected. My toadstool is open but colapses during the night. I know that my lights are low, but I don't want to stress my corals more.

For water change I use distilled water that is safe for aquariums. I also have an ATO.

🐠 Aquarium Overview​

  • Tank: Waterbox 20
  • Volume: ~76 liters total
  • Lighting:AI Prime
    • Current settings:
      • UV: 5
      • Violet: 10
      • Royal Blue: 25
      • Blue: 20
      • Green: 2
      • Red: 2
      • Cool White: 2
        runs for 10 hours, with 2 hours ramp-up
    • Wavemaker: Jebao MLW-5
    • Was set to minimum power, W2 mode
    • now is stoped
  • Filtration:
    • No protein skimmer
    • Filter floss changed every 3 days
    • Carbon added
  • Maintenance Routine:
    • 500 mL water changes every 2 days to maintain temp/salinity stability
    • Occasionally dose phosphate (Aquaforest PO4 Boost)

📊 Latest Water Parameters (Most Recent)​

ParameterValueNotes
Salinity34 pptFluctuates between 32–34 ppt; BLAU refractometer used (ATC); calibration checked
Temperature25 -27°CFluctuates during the day.
Ammonia (NH₄)0 ppm✅ Good
Nitrite (NO₂)0.05 ppm⚠️ Slightly elevated
Nitrate (NO₃)15 ppm✅ Acceptable for softies/LPS
Phosphate (PO₄)0.03 ppm✅ After dosing
Alkalinity (dKH)6.7 dKH❌ Too low
pH8.5High — likely due to low CO₂ buffering


🌱 Current Corals​

Soft Corals:​

  • Zoanthus sp. (Zoas) – several types
  • Palythoa sp. (Pallys) – several types
  • Clove Polyps (Clavularia sp.)
  • Xenia sp. ("Glass Xenia")
  • Green Star Polyps (GSP) – 2 types: Green & Purple, including one on the glass
  • Toadstool Leather Coral (Sarcophyton sp.)
  • Discosoma
  • Ricordea yuma
  • Hairy Mushroom Coral (Rhodactis sp.)

LPS Corals:​

  • Candy Cane Coral (Caulastrea sp.)

🐟 Livestock​

  • Fish:
    • 1x Molly fish (Poecilia sphenops, converted from freshwater)
  • Inverts (Cleanup Crew):
    • 2x Cerith snails
    • 1x Trochus snail
    • 5x Nassarius snails
    • Asterina starfish found and removed (caused zoa irritation)

🧪 Additives & Feeding​

  • Phosphate:
    • Aquaforest PO4 Boost
    • Dosed 0.5 mL/day
  • Feeding:
    • Target feeding corals with Aquaforest AF LPS Food (intended for LPS, but used on mushrooms and zoas)
    • Feeding

​

​


WhatsApp Image 2025-07-27 at 17.30.39 (1).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2025-07-27 at 18.38.25.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2025-07-27 at 18.37.57.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2025-07-27 at 17.30.39 (2).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2025-07-27 at 17.30.39.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2025-07-27 at 18.11.11.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2025-07-27 at 18.27.23.jpeg
 
I just did another reading for my No2 and it's now 0.1. My molly also seems stressed.
 
Hello

I started my journey with saltwater about 8 months ago. It was a slow process—the cycling took me a long time. I added live rock and one coral (GSP) in April, and this coral is doing great. Then I added more corals in June, and they also did well. Later, I added even more, including a Candy Cane coral and several soft corals.

Everything was looking great, but during testing I noticed that my phosphate (PO₄) levels were very low—undetectable on my Salifert test. I began dosing PO₄ and started acclimating two molly fish to saltwater, hoping they would naturally increase the phosphate levels in the tank.

After acclimation, I added the mollies to the tank and turned off the wavemaker to reduce their stress. One of the molly fish died, maybe I did not acclimated right . I kept the wavemaker off for a week to avoid stressing the remaining molly.

About a month ago, I added a toadstool coral and turned the wavemaker back on. After that, my Ricordea yuma and Discosoma corals started to shrink. I suspected the flow from the wavemaker was too strong, so I turned it off again. About five days ago, my GSP frags closed up, and now my Zoas are shrinking as well. I’ve done extra water changes, but I’m not sure what else to do. I test my water very often, but it's hard to tell from the Salifert test if my PO₄ is below 0.03 ppm—it’s difficult to read at such low levels. Doing a big water change will just crash my po4 again. I want to increase my alkalinity slowly with all for reef starting tomorrow.

My candy cane look unaffected. My toadstool is open but colapses during the night. I know that my lights are low, but I don't want to stress my corals more.

For water change I use distilled water that is safe for aquariums. I also have an ATO.

🐠 Aquarium Overview​

  • Tank: Waterbox 20
  • Volume: ~76 liters total
  • Lighting:AI Prime
    • Current settings:
      • UV: 5
      • Violet: 10
      • Royal Blue: 25
      • Blue: 20
      • Green: 2
      • Red: 2
      • Cool White: 2
        runs for 10 hours, with 2 hours ramp-up
    • Wavemaker: Jebao MLW-5
    • Was set to minimum power, W2 mode
    • now is stoped
  • Filtration:
    • No protein skimmer
    • Filter floss changed every 3 days
    • Carbon added
  • Maintenance Routine:
    • 500 mL water changes every 2 days to maintain temp/salinity stability
    • Occasionally dose phosphate (Aquaforest PO4 Boost)

📊 Latest Water Parameters (Most Recent)​

ParameterValueNotes
Salinity34 pptFluctuates between 32–34 ppt; BLAU refractometer used (ATC); calibration checked
Temperature25 -27°CFluctuates during the day.
Ammonia (NH₄)0 ppm✅ Good
Nitrite (NO₂)0.05 ppm⚠️ Slightly elevated
Nitrate (NO₃)15 ppm✅ Acceptable for softies/LPS
Phosphate (PO₄)0.03 ppm✅ After dosing
Alkalinity (dKH)6.7 dKH❌ Too low
pH8.5High — likely due to low CO₂ buffering


🌱 Current Corals​

Soft Corals:​

  • Zoanthus sp. (Zoas) – several types
  • Palythoa sp. (Pallys) – several types
  • Clove Polyps (Clavularia sp.)
  • Xenia sp. ("Glass Xenia")
  • Green Star Polyps (GSP) – 2 types: Green & Purple, including one on the glass
  • Toadstool Leather Coral (Sarcophyton sp.)
  • Discosoma
  • Ricordea yuma
  • Hairy Mushroom Coral (Rhodactis sp.)

LPS Corals:​

  • Candy Cane Coral (Caulastrea sp.)

🐟 Livestock​

  • Fish:
    • 1x Molly fish (Poecilia sphenops, converted from freshwater)
  • Inverts (Cleanup Crew):
    • 2x Cerith snails
    • 1x Trochus snail
    • 5x Nassarius snails
    • Asterina starfish found and removed (caused zoa irritation)

🧪 Additives & Feeding​

  • Phosphate:
    • Aquaforest PO4 Boost
    • Dosed 0.5 mL/day
  • Feeding:
    • Target feeding corals with Aquaforest AF LPS Food (intended for LPS, but used on mushrooms and zoas)
    • Feeding

​

​


WhatsApp Image 2025-07-27 at 17.30.39 (1).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2025-07-27 at 18.38.25.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2025-07-27 at 18.37.57.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2025-07-27 at 17.30.39 (2).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2025-07-27 at 17.30.39.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2025-07-27 at 18.11.11.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2025-07-27 at 18.27.23.jpeg
That alkalinity. 😰
What’s everything look like today?
 
Hello,

My corals are doing better. Someting is really consuming the alkalinity and po4 in my aquarium.

My candy cane seems to be the issue, it's growing fast. Also the coraline age are covering most of my rocks. I started to dose Po4 and All for reef.

Only one Zoa frag seems to be unhappy, not sure what it's wrong with him, but he is shriveling most of the time, I never seen him happy for more than one week. I changed his position in the tank maybe this will help.
 
You have a 20 gallon tank and have the AI Prime on 25%??? That is so low, does anything grow? I have AI Prime on a 15 gallon softie tank set at 80%
 
I have slowly increase my lights to about 40%. I'm aiming to also go to 90%. I made a rocky mistake and leave the lights to low for to long. But even with the lights as low as 25% I could see some growth on my zoas, candy cane and gsp. Since I have increased the lights I can see more growth. I found some BRSTv videos about AI prime and I'm now try to adjust to what they were testing in the videos.

​

 
I run my Prime 16 HD at,
50% UV
50% V
38% RY
38% B
0 on the rest.
2 hr ramp up, 8 hr run, 2 hr ramp down
8" over the water with a 12" deep tank.
All softies and 1 Acan.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 33.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new