brown jelly disease

LuckyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i’ve stumbled onto post and forums about brown jelly disease and i didn’t know about it until today and i’m blown away because i’ve lost not only a bleeding apple apple scoly but i’ve lost 3 hammers a frogspawn, my torch is starting to look bad as well and from pictures ive seen this brown sludge as i did as well on all those corals i’ve lost and going to smell the frags themselves smelt terrible, is there any way to even fix this like a hydrogen peroxide or iodine dip?

Poseidon03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iodine can help stop it. I'd try to look for an underlying issue, though. It's not normal to lose that many. How's your nitrates, phosphates and salinity? How new is the tank?

OP
OP
L

LuckyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would say poor water quality would be my big issue for long while now i can’t seem to keep my phosphate and nitrates stable one day i can get them to be 0.03 and they’ll jump up as far as 0.44 in a couple days even with my nitrates they skyrocket and i don’t know why i don’t feed a ton i’ve started to feed every other day, i run gfo and carbon while i have chaeto in my fuge and im just so ready to give up i feel like ive done everything i can. I can only just say thats this is part of being in this hobby but so much has been lost just to this tank.

OP
OP
L

LuckyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my tanks been running for about 5 months now my salinity stays around 1.025 recently though it dropped to 1.021 from topping off too much from my skimmer overflowing so i’ve been using salt water to top off til it goes back up

Poseidon03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my tanks been running for about 5 months now my salinity stays around 1.025 recently though it dropped to 1.021 from topping off too much from my skimmer overflowing so i’ve been using salt water to top off til it goes back up
It can definitely be disheartening. The first year is definitely the hardest. Keep pushing and you won't regret it. I mean you are trying to create a piece of the ocean in your tank. It takes a while to get established and learn all the tricks.

The reason your phosphates are doing that is most likely the rock you used is releasing the phosphate in the water. When you drop it, the rock will release more and bump the numbers back up. What all do you feed? Do you feed reef roids by chance? That can skyrocket your phosphates too.

OP
OP
L

LuckyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my tank did well up until my brother in law got out the hobby and gave me all his dry rock which i most likely disturbed my biological bacteria and i really hate myself for it because ever since its been frustrating, i try to add little bacteria back in each water change which i used a whole bottle of dr tims over the course, i do feed reef roids and i was regularly when i found out they release a lot of nutrient into the water so i keep it to about 1-2 times a week now and really haven’t since im nothing my nutrients aren’t going down so ive just resulted to pellets and people tell me those add phosphates so should i just stick to a mysis & brine shrimp mix?

OP
OP
L

LuckyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the white rock was when i started out and it didn’t work with the livestock i had everything would get stressed out and would be territorial, now they have plenty of room to swim through and hide in, but ever since i did the transition ive brought along all these issues, and i wish i knew what i did before, i kept buying corals spontaneously and my brother in law ended up giving me his so i just tagged onto my bioload so much. If i could go back i would have a quarter of the corals i would now and probably wouldn’t be in the position i am now.

Attachments

• filtered-827F27BC-952A-4156-A267-CB73B08189F6.mp4
    6.9 MB
  • IMG_2146.png
    IMG_2146.png
    828.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2147.png
    IMG_2147.png
    875.5 KB · Views: 27

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 87 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.2%
Back