Goniopora and acan not opening

shezzie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers, I've had my acan for quite some time now and all was well, have only had my goni for a little while now but I've been noticing that for the last few days neither of the two have been opening, I was questioning why and I think it's because my phosphate and nitrate levels are really low, so I went to the fish store looking for some insight and was told to dose neonitro and neophos. I now have attempted to dose the two and hope for results. Does anyone else have another suggestion why they might not be opening?

Tank Parameters:
Calcium - 450
Alkalinity - 10.1
Magnesium - 1430
Phosphate - 0
Nitrate - 1.2

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers, I've had my acan for quite some time now and all was well, have only had my goni for a little while now but I've been noticing that for the last few days neither of the two have been opening, I was questioning why and I think it's because my phosphate and nitrate levels are really low, so I went to the fish store looking for some insight and was told to dose neonitro and neophos. I now have attempted to dose the two and hope for results. Does anyone else have another suggestion why they might not be opening?

Tank Parameters:
Calcium - 450
Alkalinity - 10.1
Magnesium - 1430
Phosphate - 0
Nitrate - 1.2
What fish do you keep?

How old is the tank?

Does alkalinity stay stable at that number?

What do you have for lighting a flow?

Par numbers for where those corals are located?

Phosphate being low isn’t great for anything so that may help a little. Nitrate is probably ok even at that lower number as long as it doesn’t bottom out.

eggie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Low Nitrate and phosphate not good for these types of corals

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Increasing nitrates and phos were good moves, also post some picks and make sure that no inverts are on top of them bothering or consuming them. Also is there a possibility for pest?

OP
OP
shezzie

shezzie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What fish do you keep?

How old is the tank?

Does alkalinity stay stable at that number?

What do you have for lighting a flow?

Par numbers for where those corals are located?

Phosphate being low isn’t great for anything so that may help a little. Nitrate is probably ok even at that lower number as long as it doesn’t bottom out.
I’ve got 3 clownfish, a yellow tang, a blue tang, a banggai cardinalfish, and a mandarin goby. (note that it is a grow out for the tangs and then they’ll go into a FOWLR 120 gallon)

Tanks not very old, I’ve had it for 4 months but it was previously running for 5 years and I tried to conserve as much of the bacteria as I could.

Lighting the tank is under an ai prime 16hd, looking to upgrade to a xr15 though. Flow is using a sicce voyager I believe it’s a pretty small pump but delivers a good amount of flow to the tank alongside the return pump nozzles.

Alkalinity does stay stable around 10.1-10.3

And unfortunately i’m unaware of the PAR in the tank so far, haven’t been able to find a PAR meter in my area.

OP
OP
shezzie

shezzie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Increasing nitrates and phos were good moves, also post some picks and make sure that no inverts are on top of them bothering or consuming them. Also is there a possibility for pest?
There could be a possibility of pests, they might’ve not been dipped properly. Should I take them out and dip them again to see if maybe a pest comes off?

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There could be a possibility of pests, they might’ve not been dipped properly. Should I take them out and dip them again to see if maybe a pest comes off?
If there’s a possibility then sure but most of the time it’s not the issue. Are there any other coral struggling or is it just these two?

OP
OP
shezzie

shezzie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there’s a possibility then sure but most of the time it’s not the issue. Are there any other coral struggling or is it just these two?
Just seems to be these two, the acan is mounted pretty high up so maybe the light intensity is the issue, I've reduced the peak from 81% to 71% and I hope to see some change from that.

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Low phos. Both these corals like food. Feed reef roids will help. I find these 2 corals to be some of the finnickiest. Gonis are really weird. I lost both mine at the 6 month mark with no sign it was coming. Looked fine and happy then closed up and gone in 3 days.

Try feeding them and your fish more and should help

OP
OP
shezzie

shezzie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Low phos. Both these corals like food. Feed reef roids will help. I find these 2 corals to be some of the finnickiest. Gonis are really weird. I lost both mine at the 6 month mark with no sign it was coming. Looked fine and happy then closed up and gone in 3 days.

Try feeding them and your fish more and should help
How often should I feed my tank reef roids?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back