Talk to me about your Clown Triggers

SCH14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a 310g (96x30x25) display and am doing a mixed reef.
Achilles, Blonde Naso, Unicorn, Blue Hippo, Gem, Purple
A few wrasses eventually

Ive seen some threads on clown triggers in mixed reefs (mostly good reviews)
Wanting to hear stories and thoughts on that. Have only had one in a FOWLER but it is my favorite fish.
Let me know what you guys think!

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my favorite 2. I had a couple for a few years each and they were both model citizens but I lost them both under 6 inches. I would bet once they get around 10 inches not much would be safe. But completely a guess on my part. I have taken care of large ones many years ago.

As for my own, I have no idea about either death. One was fine one day and gone the next. The other stopped eating for an unknown reason and just wasted away after having him a couple years.... (These were seperate times, did not keep 2 together).

Joj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always had a clown trigger in all my big tanks. My current one is 6”. Is an aggressive eater of any food and nori I put in. Nice and thick. Got him around 2.5” back in 2021. He doesn’t show any aggression and haven’t even looked at my smaller fishes (1” in chromis, 1” mollies, small tail spot Blenny) and hope that still be the case going forward as he grows bigger. In the past I’ve had them too and they never showed aggression but I never had them past 6” either…

0MNSH1ZLLC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had this clown trigger near 2 years I’d say it’s gone from 5 inches to about 10 and become much more aggressive. It didn’t bother the cuc but it probably killed my harlequin tusk and emp snapper indirectly. They will nip at other fishand they are aggressive during feeding. If it’s not your all time favorite fish and you can’t stomach something bad happening to the others I’d set up another tank and add it last with some damsels or chromis or crap like that or just risk it. I wouldn’t give my clown away unless it killed my sohal or Golden puff which are crazy aggressive.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back