Talk me in/out copperband addition.

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Qt’d Dr Reef CBB basically eats from the water column (moreso grabs at pieces as they bump up against a rocks). Also eats masstick like a champ- knew what it was from the jump. definitely recommend getting some if not on your radar.

OP
OP
OutColdCRNA

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Qt’d Dr Reef CBB basically eats from the water column (moreso grabs at pieces as they bump up against a rocks). Also eats masstick like a champ- knew what it was from the jump. definitely recommend getting some if not on your radar.
Just added it to the order. I meant to from the get go and of course slipped my mind. Thanks for reminding me!

stevieduk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience with cbb went well. Now 4 years with me and my favorite. I did have to rehome my yellow tang though so the scopas could be an issue. My advice would be QT one in an established tank and get it eating well before you put it in your display tank so it doesn't have to compete right away. I did observation only for 90 days in a separate live tank full of aiptaisa and rocks and fattened him up while prepared to medicate if necessary. I had live black worms ready and for a few days thats all it ate. Then took mysis and eventually clam and now eats all kinds of seafood. I also got mine from quality lfs so I could see it first. Don't be surprised if lympho pops up after getting it also. Will go away when settled and eating in good water parameters. If it were me I'd get the cbb right before I upgraded and put it in the new display before the tang.

Scopas tang will definately have a go, i have one that is smaller than a regal and empora angle in the tank but he definatly rules and uses his knives if it suites him.
As copperbands are timid i would take care

drblank1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my CBB fish from Dr. Reefs QT. What a great source for firsh.

I got him because I was overrun by aptasia. Took about a week but the CBB started eating brine shrimp. He wouldn't touch the aptasia. Good quality brine shrimp did the trick for me. I also bought a rabbit fish from Dr.ReefQT and added at the same time to dispurse the agression from my yellow eye tang. And I set a mirror up to distract the tang with the reflection of himself. Boy does my tang HATE his reflection. :D

I started using aptasia x to kill the aptasia. Once I started killing the aptasia, the CBB went to town on eating the aptasia. Now I am aptasia free (at least visually).

I feed my tank brine, mysis, and algae. The CBB will only eat brine shrimp. I tried clams but too much trouble.

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have thought about this as a definite may relocate.
For me having the cbb was worth rehomng my tang. I sold the 3 yr old yellow for $35 just prior to the Hawaii ban after it slashed my cbb and it was worth it. Luckily I caught it when I did and the cbb healed.

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fwiw my paired yellow tangs warmed up to my CBB so you never know. Consider all the tang tricks (mirror, extra food) when adding.

OP
OP
OutColdCRNA

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fwiw my paired yellow tangs warmed up to my CBB so you never know. Consider all the tang tricks (mirror, extra food) when adding.
I have two 6”x6” mirrors I use with all new additions. One will be placed on opposite short walls of my tank. Still waiting for the invoice from dr. Reef. All the frozen food I ordered should be here today!

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here we are at a crossroads. I’m debating of adding a CBB to my current setup. Current tank is 48”x20”x20”. By October the tank will be upgraded to either an SCA 150 60” or an IM 200 72”.
Current stock
Clown pair
Adorned wrasse
Carpenters wrasse
One spot foxface
Scopas tang.

Scopas is about 3”. One spot about the same size. No aggression in the tank.

Would the addition of the CBB to the current mix be warranted at this point with the already budgeted for upgrade?

Would be purchasing from Dr. reef and requesting one on the smaller side.

I am also not dead set on purchasing one for the current setup and am willing to wait. Wanted to hear pros and cons from those with experience.

If you are asking the question then the logical answer is no.

As a side note nice super power to have (crna). Good job.

blazn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, I've purchased fish from Dr. Reef multiple times, even picking up some 'bad shippers' directly from him in Tulsa. I'm a big Dr. Reef fan!

I purchased a CBB from Dr. Reef 2 years ago, thinking that if it survived his quarantine process, it must be eating prepared foods from the water column. I had just about every type of food ready, live black worms, live white worms, clams on the half-shell, masstick, a variety of frozen foods, etc. Unfortunately, the only thing it would eat is the masstick I had applied to porous rock, which wasn't enough to sustain it and it perished in 3 weeks. I wasn't going to put another CBB thru that again.

A year later, I happened across one at my LFS and they indicated it was eating frozen "like a champ", so after witnessing it eat frozen mysis, I purchased it and after a proactive quarantine period in my QT, it's been thriving in my DT since, but it will only eat frozen, specifically LRS varieties and mysis. It tends to avoid the 'Angel & Butterfly' frozen food and devours the LRS. I have tried feeding it live black worms, but it does not show any interest.

Due to it's specific frozen food requirement, I am a bit concerned that in a couple months I'll be away for a week without any way to feed frozen and no one locally I'd trust to access my house and feed it while I'm away. I use an auto-feeder to feed the tank multiple times daily, but it has no interest in pellets/flake.

I certainly hope that you have good luck with your Dr. Reef CBB and you certainly are preparing correctly with all the food variety you'll have ready for it. My CBB is my favorite fish and I hope your future CBB becomes one of your favorites!

OP
OP
OutColdCRNA

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are asking the question then the logical answer is no.

As a side note nice super power to have (crna). Good job.
Thanks, I have been a nurse since 2009, finished CRNA school two years ago. Definitely one of the best choices I have ever made.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

blazn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get them thru eastern aquatics. Thats where i get mine
Yep, Eastern Aquatics was the only supplier I could find and I purchased thru them and was 'happy' with the purchase.

OP
OP
OutColdCRNA

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered a brine shrimp hatchery and will order the live black worms. I think I should have all the bases covered for the arrival. Still haven’t received my invoice from Dr. reef. As soon as I get that I’ll order the worms.

OP
OP
OutColdCRNA

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Debating on ordering one of the copperband feeders from printed reef. Thinking of being able to put a frozen cube or masstick inside to allow it time to sniff it out and feed on its own time. Any thoughts?

blazn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Debating on ordering one of the copperband feeders from printed reef. Thinking of being able to put a frozen cube or masstick inside to allow it time to sniff it out and feed on its own time. Any thoughts?
The CBB feeder seems like a good idea and from what I've read, will work well for some CBBs. I made my own using PVC and magnets (easy project). Mine never paid any attention to it. I tried it again the other day and still no interest. I do recommend having everything possible ready to use to ensure it eats, which you appear to be doing, so it's worth having it as a 'tool in your tool-belt'. Good luck!

OP
OP
OutColdCRNA

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got the shipment notice from Dr. reef. CBB will be delivered on the 28th of next week. Works out perfectly if I pick up at the hub. It’s about a mile from my hospital. Has anyone ever done hub pickup before? Any specifics I need to do once I arrive at the hub for pickup?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just add food into the water at first. Once you got him eating well, then you can start on training him to eat a specific way. Eaven healthy, establish fish will take a little while before they discover more exotic methods of feeding throw at them by reefers. CBB are significant more difficult to get feeding established, pre-QT or not.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back