Tang advice

  • Thread starter Thread starter Harpo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Harpo

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Joined
Jan 7, 2009
Messages
1,073
Reaction score
401
Location
Royal Oak, Mi
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I have some Caulerpa that I'm struggling to keep under control. My tank is about 100 gallons. I would love a purple tang but I understand they can be butt holes. How long before a purple would grow out of my tank?

Thanks

David
 
I'd say probably 3 inches in the first year, then about 2 inches per year thereafter, depending mainly on diet. So you'd have 3 years or so. However, I'd say that getting a fish with plans of either rehoming or upgrading to a larger tank is not optimal. With rehoming, ya gotta be able to catch it and with upgrading, life gets in the way more often than not.
 
And yes, they can be.......challenging.
 
I have a purple in my 120 and plan on keeping him until he dies of old age. And yes they can be butt holes. If you plan on any other tangs I would add the purple last
 
I have some Caulerpa that I'm struggling to keep under control. My tank is about 100 gallons. I would love a purple tang but I understand they can be butt holes. How long before a purple would grow out of my tank?

Thanks

David
I really doubt a Tang will eat Caulerpa
 
They can be aggressive towards others, but that largely has to do with who the “others” are..so example with purple I would not put yellow or vice versa.

I think that fish or even a yellow is fine in 100g.
I have a yellow 4 years in a 65g. Started at 2” and now, maybe 4.5” and growing has slowed significantly. Purples growth much the same, but he don’t like Mrs Yellow, so they live apart.
 
what will eat my Caulerpa
Sea Hares, Crabs, Sea Urchins
I tried feeding it to my tangs, but they will not go anywhere near it, I think it is a bit too tough for them
I throw away a bucket of it a month from my sump
 

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 60.0%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new