Tang aggression observation

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So some of you may know that I have many tangs, including two powder blue and two Achilles.

Some of you may recall that my larger Achilles turned out to be far too aggressive for my tang tank. He beat pbt and powder brown tangs near to death one day. So I moved him to my large angel tank where my emperor and passer angels (among others) didn't take his crap. Aggressive tank. Had zero aggression issues. I then bought another Achilles this one is much more docile (like the many I've had in the past)

Some of you may also recall my powder blue "pair" that went though a quick divorce.. Tried to pair them again and it resulted in the more docile pbt hiding 24/7 to avoid abuse. So I removed the aggressor again to the same tank as the evil Achilles (who did not tolerate PBT at all initially). Figured this was risky but had a hunch that relative pecking order made a difference. In this tank there were far fewer tangs to spread aggression. Just the Achilles and a yellow belly regal.

The large Achilles was not very interested in the Aggressive PBT. Must be body language and pecking order. Towards the bottom of the pecking order, the evil Achilles is far more calm and less aggressive.

So the observation? Pecking order is a contributing factor to aggression, and I suspect body language is an important indicator of how tangs will get along since these fish have behaved differently in different scenarios.

And if anyone is curious, IMO powder blues are the most aggressive tang of all. Not sohal not even close. My sohals haven't held a torch.

Last edited:
OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone is curious this Achilles is 1-1.5" larger than the PBT

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pbt definitely is king in my tank
That's pretty standard IMO and IME.

They hold grudges unlike other tangs, too. An initial dislike for a fish is far less likely to be "fixed by time". Once they have made up their mind, a personal vendetta will not be forgotten.

reefndude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only fish it shows aggression towards is the bt trigger. They are both of similar size. All other fish are quite a bit smaller

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still doing great this evening. No obvious skirmishes their fins look flawless. Still pretty impressed

Ryan15236

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3FordFamily- quick question for you since you own an Achilles. I have a 125 gallon tank (72x18). Would an Achilles be alright in my tank. It would be the only tang and the only medium to larger sized fish. Other stock includes or will include clownfish, RG, firefish, fairy wrasse, and some Anthias.

eea60

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had two powder blues and two sohals(not at the same time). The PB was the only tang that was a killer. It killed my purple tang first(bad time for me with near death infection so I was unable to help in time). After the first death he went after my foxface and would attack it relentlessly anytime he saw it. I knew he was picking one fish at a time to kill. My sohal would attack my much larger sailfin and initially get the crap beat out of him. Over time my sailfin started backing down and my sohal would attack him whenever it got too close. I never felt like the sohal would fight to the death like the PB. I ended up getting rid of all four bullies and have thus far refused to try again even though the PB is my wife's favorite fish.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3FordFamily- quick question for you since you own an Achilles. I have a 125 gallon tank (72x18). Would an Achilles be alright in my tank. It would be the only tang and the only medium to larger sized fish. Other stock includes or will include clownfish, RG, firefish, fairy wrasse, and some Anthias.
This is a matter of opinion. IMO the smallest tank acceptable for these fish is 180. That said, some have done it with relative success.

Please read this thread about ich management and Achilles (and other acanthurus tangs) should you try.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/i...ears-of-experience-and-ich-management.206347/

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had two powder blues and two sohals(not at the same time). The PB was the only tang that was a killer. It killed my purple tang first(bad time for me with near death infection so I was unable to help in time). After the first death he went after my foxface and would attack it relentlessly anytime he saw it. I knew he was picking one fish at a time to kill. My sohal would attack my much larger sailfin and initially get the crap beat out of him. Over time my sailfin started backing down and my sohal would attack him whenever it got too close. I never felt like the sohal would fight to the death like the PB. I ended up getting rid of all four bullies and have thus far refused to try again even though the PB is my wife's favorite fish.
I would say 25% are docile, 25% are somewhat mean, 25% are evil, and 25% are satan. I've owned several myself.

buzzword

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My PBT killed my Kuiteri wrasse, just decided one day that "the wrasse came after me so it must die." Like eea60 said my wife's favorite fish so it got to stay when my favorite died, no justice in that i say.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My PBT killed my Kuiteri wrasse, just decided one day that "the wrasse came after me so it must die." Like eea60 said my wife's favorite fish so it got to stay when my favorite died, no justice in that i say.
Wow I've not seen a PBT go after anything other than tangs, butterflies, occasional trigger, angels, and foxface. Wrasse, blennies and gobies have always been ignored! That sir is an evil PBT

My nasty Achilles tried to bully my large Angels as he did the tang group and it didn't end well. My emperor relentlessly chased and bit him until he got the point. Since then perfect harmony - the Achilles is NOT the boss.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes the evil just need a reality check and get put in their place.

Yes. The emperor angel is a docile boss. Passer angel number 2. All they ask is that you move out of their way. That's it. No bullying anything unless they don't know their place.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 167 72.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back