Tang and disease

kaylambishop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a bristletooth tang and have been battling flukes for months. We’ve lost several fish. We tried prazipro to no avail.

We had to remove our tang because he was struggling to breathe and he was developing spots. (More than his usual marking)

We dipped him in paraguard for an hour and tons on white wormy looking thing came off him. We then moved him out of the dip in to a fresh water dip and into our qt tank with cupramine at .5ppm

Later we noticed these brown streaks. Is it a bacterial infection or stress or ???

IMG_3608.jpeg IMG_3606.jpeg IMG_3603.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
We have a bristletooth tang and have been battling flukes for months. We’ve lost several fish. We tried prazipro to no avail.

We had to remove our tang because he was struggling to breathe and he was developing spots. (More than his usual marking)

We dipped him in paraguard for an hour and tons on white wormy looking thing came off him. We then moved him out of the dip in to a fresh water dip and into our qt tank with cupramine at .5ppm

Later we noticed these brown streaks. Is it a bacterial infection or stress or ???

Looks like a skin irritation and It would be awesome to have seen pics of these worms to determine type. Were they elongated, or oval or circular?
Is fish eating?
Is fish breathing normal or labored?

This appears to be a skin irritation and would be best treated with Seachem Kanaplex. Other Option is Ruby Rally Pro but Kanaplex will be more effective.
With PraziPro, how did you treat fish and how long?

Paraguard rarely works but if worms fell off - great

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Prazipro doesn’t kill fluke eggs, and you need to dose it at just the right intervals to kill the new flukes that hatch, but before they lay new eggs. Also, bacteria grows after multiple prazi treatments that consume the prazi faster than it can work.
In cases where prazi didn’t work, I recommend half salinity for 30 days.

Jay

OP
OP
K

kaylambishop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our poor tang didn’t survive the night. But luckily he was in the qt tank and won’t effect the main tank.

He looked pretty rough. We were scared he was pretty far gone and getting him out of the tank stressed him out.

Heading to our local fish store today and I will look for Rally. (Just in case for next time)

When we were using Prazipro I was following their dosing every three days with a 20% water change. Jay - could a really robust copepod population eat up the prazipro? (We have tons of copepods on our glass)

This is our third tank after a six year break when our kids were born. Enjoying getting back in the hobby but still hard to lose a fish.

OP
OP
K

kaylambishop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a skin irritation and It would be awesome to have seen pics of these worms to determine type. Were they elongated, or oval or circular?
Is fish eating?
Is fish breathing normal or labored?

This appears to be a skin irritation and would be best treated with Seachem Kanaplex. Other Option is Ruby Rally Pro but Kanaplex will be more effective.
With PraziPro, how did you treat fish and how long?

Paraguard rarely works but if worms fell off - great
The were either circular or oval but def white. I’m going to pick up Rally or Kana just to have on hand because unfortunately you never need it till an emergency.

OP
OP
K

kaylambishop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Prazipro doesn’t kill fluke eggs, and you need to dose it at just the right intervals to kill the new flukes that hatch, but before they lay new eggs. Also, bacteria grows after multiple prazi treatments that consume the prazi faster than it can work.
In cases where prazi didn’t work, I recommend half salinity for 30 days.

Jay
We have a reef tank so our plan is to slowly move the two remaining fish to the qt tank with hypo salinity.

My understanding is invertebrates and coral can’t handle hyposalinity right?

OP
OP
K

kaylambishop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally eating my words. He was laying in the bottom of the hospital tank not moving. Now moving around just fine. Ordering Kana and Rally.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our poor tang didn’t survive the night. But luckily he was in the qt tank and won’t effect the main tank.

He looked pretty rough. We were scared he was pretty far gone and getting him out of the tank stressed him out.

Heading to our local fish store today and I will look for Rally. (Just in case for next time)

When we were using Prazipro I was following their dosing every three days with a 20% water change. Jay - could a really robust copepod population eat up the prazipro? (We have tons of copepods on our glass)

This is our third tank after a six year break when our kids were born. Enjoying getting back in the hobby but still hard to lose a fish.

That's the problem with Prazipro, their instructions are wrong. Three days isn't long enough for fluke eggs to hatch, so some eggs can still hatch after the second dose, prazi only remains active in water for about 36 hours. Even the 8 days spacing I suggest doesn't always work. A new infection can start up again it just one egg gets through.

However - if you dose prazi and the fish do not improve a couple of days later, (even if they get sick again in a few weeks when new flukes return) I would suspect the diagnosis of flukes to begin with.

Jay

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back