Tang fins

harleynewfie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all I have a yellow tang that I have had for over a year and now all of a sudden the fins seem to be shredded. I have started feeding it more Algae thinking it may be needing more algae. It does not seem to be acting funny but does do some rapid swimming around the tank. I have not added anything new to the tank and all parameters are WNL. I do regular water changes every 2 weeks. Do I need to pull it out and put in quarantine? The rest of the fish in the tank look normal.

MondoBongo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how shredded are we talking?

my YT sometimes got in to spats with my kole tang, and would end up with splits in his fins. once they settled down for a few days the fins would heal right back up.

they never got to the point of looking ragged though.

what are the other tank mates? is it possible aggression?

username

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
something in the tank is bothering it. how big is it, I keep 3 yellows, a valamingi, hippo and i rabbit fish ( all over 5") in a 200g and they're all fine. must feed them lots to keep aggression down.

OP
OP
harleynewfie

harleynewfie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don't see anything bothering it. I have a hippo tang a pair of Clarki's 2 chromis and an Anthias in there as well and they seem to be buddies. His fins are pretty shredded so I am going to pull him out and put him in quarantine until he looks better. Should I put in antibiotics?

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 178 72.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 46 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back