Tang has lumpy stomach

bensoo00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hippo tang that is roughly 1 1/2 inches has had a lumpy stomach since I got him from the LFS. He sometimes rubs himself on coral (my candy cane most of the time) but he eats very well and is a fierce competitor to my ocelaris for food. Should I be worried? He acts completely normal but once in a while rubs himself on the coral and his stomach is sometimes lump but then goes smooth, so idk what’s up with him. I tried to take a photo but it went only decent. He’s in a 60 gal while I cycle the 150 so he’ll be moving in about a month. Maybe stress?

IMG_0994.jpeg IMG_0990.jpeg IMG_0993.jpeg IMG_0992.jpeg IMG_0989.jpeg

Badboyan93l

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That same thing happened a few times to my hippo tang at that size 7 years ago. 7 years later and he's perfect no lump anymore. As long as it's eating leave it alone, it'll heal on its own :)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My hippo tang that is roughly 1 1/2 inches has had a lumpy stomach since I got him from the LFS. He sometimes rubs himself on coral (my candy cane most of the time) but he eats very well and is a fierce competitor to my ocelaris for food. Should I be worried? He acts completely normal but once in a while rubs himself on the coral and his stomach is sometimes lump but then goes smooth, so idk what’s up with him. I tried to take a photo but it went only decent. He’s in a 60 gal while I cycle the 150 so he’ll be moving in about a month. Maybe stress?

This may be constipation or other internal issue such as what is referred to as edema where the fish has a hard time maintaining its bodily fluids with the current tank water related to kidney or liver failure.
If you see rapid breathing , it may involve the fish's entire body. Often feeding brine shrimp acts as a laxative. If you are feeding pellets, pull off and add LRS Fish frenzy, small plankton, hikari veggie diet to the food list

burrfishbloatin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mine looks the same way. I think it just eats a lot.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back