OP
OP
Clarinuto

Clarinuto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long would you all recommend keeping this tang in qt? He’s gaining weight, shows no sign of illness. Has been in QT now for 4 and a half weeks with a Royal Gramma. Royal Gramma is fat and happy. What would others advise at this point?

OP
OP
Clarinuto

Clarinuto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, great. That’s kind of where I have been mentally also. I’ve been torn though because part of me wonders if the fish would do better in a bigger tank... but of course still worried about the result of the stress of getting used to the new environment on both the tang and my dt fish. Thanks :)

OP
OP
Clarinuto

Clarinuto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
congrats on the progress. here's to hoping it continues
Thank you very much!! I’m sure this poor fish is so sick of seeing my face because I’m constantly staring at it trying to assess how it’s doing. Lol. The little guy is going to be so relieved once he’s released into the big tank. :)

OP
OP
Clarinuto

Clarinuto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In your experience, is the face the last area to start showing weight gain in an extremely thin fish? Sometimes I think the tang’s face is starting to looks a slight bit heavier and then others I feel like it is nearly as sunken as before. There is definite weight gain in the body though, which is great. I don’t have any experience with tangs beyond this one, nor extremely sick/thin tangs, so unfortunately for this fish, I am learning along the way here. Thanks for your help.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In your experience, is the face the last area to start showing weight gain in an extremely thin fish? Sometimes I think the tang’s face is starting to looks a slight bit heavier and then others I feel like it is nearly as sunken as before. There is definite weight gain in the body though, which is great. I don’t have any experience with tangs beyond this one, nor extremely sick/thin tangs, so unfortunately for this fish, I am learning along the way here. Thanks for your help.

Yes from the few I’ve seen it always seems the body emaciates first then the face and vice versa when putting weight back on. I think you are on the right track.

OP
OP
Clarinuto

Clarinuto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes from the few I’ve seen it always seems the body emaciates first then the face and vice versa when putting weight back on. I think you are on the right track.

Okay, thank you. I wasn’t sure if they lost and gained it area by area or if they lost and gained weight evenly across the body. I started thinking about this and wondering if I should be more concerned, but it sounds like the fish is progressing like I thought. Good to hear.

OP
OP
Clarinuto

Clarinuto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I introduced the tang into my display tank this past Saturday which was the 6 week mark. She’s been settling in pretty well but I noticed today there is a black line on part of her dorsal fin and upper body that I hadn’t noticed before. I haven’t been able to see her up close much since transferring her between tanks. She’s a scaredy fish and real ticked at me for catching her, but I sat as still as possible to finally get a look at her this afternoon. Is this anything to be concerned about. Sorry for the less than stellar footage. As mentioned, I can’t move or she darts off. I didn’t even move and she still ran away like someone was after her. :)

I’m inserting a link to a video. No idea how this will work as this is my first time trying it. Sorry if I mess it up! :p

OP
OP
Clarinuto

Clarinuto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me and I had finished the treatments just because I’m paranoid I’d probably do a two week observation period.

Would you be able to help by chance? I put the tang in my dt this past Saturday which was 2 weeks past end of treatment, 6 weeks post arrival. She has a black line on her dorsal fin and upper back that I haven’t noticed before. Her behavior is normal. She’s settled in nicely and comes out for seaweed on the clip and frozen food feedings with the rest of the fish. I have a video in the last post. Am I being too paranoid? I have no idea what it could be? It doesn’t look like black ich, uronema, or other diseases I’m aware of. It looks kind of like a new ornamental marking except that I swear it wasn’t there before and it isn’t on her other side! Thank you and sorry for once again asking you for help.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you be able to help by chance? I put the tang in my dt this past Saturday which was 2 weeks past end of treatment, 6 weeks post arrival. She has a black line on her dorsal fin and upper back that I haven’t noticed before. Her behavior is normal. She’s settled in nicely and comes out for seaweed on the clip and frozen food feedings with the rest of the fish. I have a video in the last post. Am I being too paranoid? I have no idea what it could be? It doesn’t look like black ich, uronema, or other diseases I’m aware of. It looks kind of like a new ornamental marking except that I swear it wasn’t there before and it isn’t on her other side! Thank you and sorry for once again asking you for help.
That could just be a small injury from brushing up against a rock, or a coral sting. Common with a fish newly introduced to a tank, as they learn the layout.

It does appear that the fish is putting on some weight which is a good thing!!!

OP
OP
Clarinuto

Clarinuto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That could just be a small injury from brushing up against a rock, or a coral sting. Common with a fish newly introduced to a tank, as they learn the layout.

It does appear that the fish is putting on some weight which is a good thing!!!

Thank you so much for the reply. This gives me some relief that she and the other fish will be okay. I will monitor but stop freaking out. She’s been doing so well that it would be such a shame for something to happen now. Thanks again :)

Back