Tang Not Eating! Help!

katonge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a small yellow tang for 2 weeks. I haven’t see her eating when I feed the others but figured since there was so much algae in the tank she was ok. She is getting skinnier every day. I feed a variety of flake food & frozen but nothing seems to appeal to her. I feel terrible!
Is there something that is irresistible to yellow tangs that I could try?

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Have you tried some garlic in the water? Sometimes that will get them hungry. Typically, brine shrimp is generally a good test of what is going on. If they don't eat Brine Shrimp (live preferred) then that signals that things might not be going too great.

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try seaweed, preferably something that has a bit of garlic. You aren't seeing any spots or things around the gill correct? Just checking for any time bacteria is important as well.

OP
OP
katonge

katonge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried some garlic in the water? Sometimes that will get them hungry. Typically, brine shrimp is generally a good test of what is going on. If they don't eat Brine Shrimp (live preferred) then that signals that things might not be going too great.
Both flake foods contain garlic. I will have to ask around and see who might have live brine shrimp.

OP
OP
katonge

katonge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try seaweed, preferably something that has a bit of garlic. You aren't seeing any spots or things around the gill correct? Just checking for any time bacteria is important as well.
I have 2 types of seaweed - red seaweed & seaweed salad, green marine algae.
And no, I haven’t seen any spots. She’s just so thin. But if she is still alive she must be eating something, right? She couldn’t last 2 weeks eating nothing. Could she?

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 types of seaweed - red seaweed & seaweed salad, green marine algae.
And no, I haven’t seen any spots. She’s just so thin. But if she is still alive she must be eating something, right? She couldn’t last 2 weeks eating nothing. Could she?
I don't think it's possible for two weeks... she's probably been picking at the algae on the rocks. Live food might help, I've used pellets as well to supplement feeding. She just needs to pick it off the rocks or out of the water column.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She couldn’t last 2 weeks eating nothing. Could she?

A fish that was at a healthy weight can absolutely go two weeks without eating …. its not ideal, of course. A fish that was already skinny would likely succumb before two weeks. Although 'try garlic' is usually the second or third post in threads like this, it's rarely effective. Sometimes a new fish just doesn't eat, either because of underlying disease or heightened stress. Only things you can do is offer a variety of foods in the hope that something will stick and try to remove any sources of stress.

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Both flake foods contain garlic. I will have to ask around and see who might have live brine shrimp.

I've also used a garlic product - I forgot the brand, but most pet stores should carry it. It's just liquid garlic in a bottle so don't spill it!

Rome

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try trowing some seaweed in there i bought one on Saturday and i was watching a similar behavior to yours isnt really reacting to pellets or fed food but what i did notice is that he is eating the seaweed with garlic that i placed on a clip. Im also seeing that it is very shy like if i feed and stand infront of the glass he wont come out but if i step away he comes right out and picks up from the substrate. So that is a relieve for me since he came from a private seller.

ReefFrenzy

Shrimp Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Visit our website at LRSFoods.com and enter your zip code on the "BUY LRS" page to see if you have a dealer of our foods nearby. Our foods contain a variety of fresh seafood ingredients including blackworms and fresh fish eggs. Time and time again our retailers have said our foods are their "go to" to get new arrivals eating and acclimating. We have a great track record with even the most finicky feeders. Best of luck to you and there are lots of videos and info on our website if you have any questions about our products.

Scottmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I have read a lot of references to garlic for tangs. Can you chop fresh garlic or would it need to be freeze dried flaked garlic?

I have seen my friends blue tang nibble on spinach/pak choi/cabbage leaves if you clamp it to the side of the tank with a scraper, I assume yellow tangs would eat them too.

Just make sure you wash them in dechlorinated water first as salad is often chlorine washed from supermarkets!

Scott

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please stick with trusted sources. Do not add fresh garlic, garlic in a bottle etc., these are not meant to be in a tank.
Some marine fish algae brand have been enhanced with garlic flavor (that's ok) but you need your tang to eat nori, live food or quality frozen.
  • Try Nori on a clip & Nori rubber banded to a rock
  • Offer some live black worms or white worms (call LFS to see if they have some).
  • Offer good quality frozen foods like LRS foods. Thaw a bit of LRS food in a ramekin, add tank water. Use turkey baster to blow small amounts gently into water column to entice fish to eat.
The best foods for a tang are Nori, live black worms, or good quality frozen. These are nutritious & will help him get to a healthy weight. Pellets, flake are not natural nutritious food sources & very processed.
LRS is made from quality natural food sources & designed for optimum nutrition. If your LFS does not sell it - contact Premium Aquatics.
Tangs need Nori! Very important in their diet.

As @ca1ore described, if your tang is not eating Nori or quality foods - it may well have a disease issue. If it doesn't eat recommended foods, then try moving it to QT tank. Reef squad can advise you how to treat.

OP
OP
katonge

katonge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started clipping part of a sheet of algae in the tank & tried lots of different frozen foods. I also had another tang that I added at the same time & maybe it set a good example?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 123 81.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back