Tang suggestions?

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i had planned a 2 spot bristle tooth, purple and blue hippo, all babies, and moving to 240 at least when needed. Anyone ever keep a trio of bristle tooth together? Ive always dreamed of doing it,.

MikeyTN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ctenochaetus are the bristletooth such as tomoni, kole, 2 spot, Chevron, etc.

Personally I don't think you'll have any problems but just keep an eye on them. My purple is the boss of my tank. I keep him with a blond naso. They used to battle a bit but they're doing well together.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can mix bristletooth tangs but some of the more aggressive specimens and individuals may cause issues. Kole tangs tend to be pretty aggressive, as do White Tail, towards other bristletooth. That said, I've kept multiple bristletooth before and it always involved a Kole tang without any trouble.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can mix bristletooth tangs but some of the more aggressive specimens and individuals may cause issues. Kole tangs tend to be pretty aggressive, as do White Tail, towards other bristletooth. That said, I've kept multiple bristletooth before and it always involved a Kole tang without any trouble.
Thanks!

After the little temp issue i just had im almost back at square one, so ive got some stock to replace first, but we will see.

Osteoclast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep 3 Chevron’s in my 525. Introduced them as juveniles after QTing them. They have their pecking order but they are algae workhorses. Good luck.

Osteoclast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep 3 Chevron’s in my 525. Introduced them as juveniles after QTing them. They have their pecking order but they are algae workhorses. Good luck.

MikeyTN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

But you have a 525g tank, plenty of room for them to avoid one another. Bristle tooth tangs cleans algae like no tomorrow for sure.

MikeyTN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add the purple last. They're very aggressive to any new comer.

MikeyTN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
;Joyful;Joyful;Joyful

The yellow I traded the purple for wasn't as bad as the purple.

MikeyTN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do the bristle and mimic first. Hippo can be quite shy and gets stressed easily. I would get a young healthy one with them or after them. Naso are shy at first until they get used to you. I would get a young one too. The older ones can be problematic as when they get scared they would hurt themselves swimming into rocks. These are my own experiences with them but it may be different for you depending on the fish.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still torn on the naso, if I want that, or a second trigger. But that's a good idea, get the mimic and bristle, let them settle, search out the hippo, get it settled, then end with the purple.

MikeyTN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Naso and hippo always been my favorite. Especially Naso. Years ago I had a young Naso that got sick with ich and was close to death laying on the bottom of the tank. I started feeding him directly to his mouth and he accepted the food I was feeding him. On the second day he was still laying on the bottom and I kept feeding him directly to his mouth by hand 4 times per day. On the third day he perked up and started swimming around and I would have food in my hand and he would swim up to feed from my hand. Finally he was fully recovered after a couple of weeks. We had him for over 4 years before I sold my tank and the dude somehow killed him. It made me very sad to hear what happened to him. Cause I was wondering if I can get him back when I started back up with saltwater again. He always feed off my hand and I can pet him in the water as he wasn't afraid of me after I nursed him back to health.

MikeyTN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You never know. Like I've said it does vary but my baby blond naso gets picked on by the purple but not super bad. Very minimal, not like when he was introduced at the beginning. But I won't do without a naso. If it had been bad I would of dip out the purple and kept the naso.

Back