Tang suggestions?

MikeyTN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good choice regardless whichever ones you pick. Just letting you know theres a baby blond naso at critters.

MikeyTN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years ago I didn't have issues with hippos stressing out. Got my first one at the frag swap. It was full of baby hippos they were selling. Then got another one from a friend of mine that decided to quit. They were both babies. Both grew to full size and never got sick.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one's a baby, was eating up a storm at Emerald. I know the stigma with them, so fingers crossed. We all take risks in this hobby and it's my daughter's favorite
Finally having one is grrat!

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years ago I didn't have issues with hippos stressing out. Got my first one at the frag swap. It was full of baby hippos they were selling. Then got another one from a friend of mine that decided to quit. They were both babies. Both grew to full size and never got sick.
I watched l hippos and asked to watch each eat. I took the one that went bonkers for food. Feeding good foods and supplements for the best luck I can have.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its part of the game we all play.

Going to let the tank settle for a few weeks before deciding what to go with next. Wife really likes the atlantic blue, but not sure if i want to do a trio of Purple, Yellow, and Sail, and save the Atlantic to get when we upgrade to the 240 down the line for the large angel she wants.

Hippo seems happy and good so theres a win in there i guess.

MikeyTN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your tangs. To tell you the honest truth. Its harsh for fish to travel a long ways to the fish store then to move into a tank. Plus it depends on how they were trapped. From all the stress is what kills them. For a kole tang and many tangs if you can get a established tank going with live algae within you have a better chance to keep them. The only reason I lost my kole years ago was from numerous fresh water dips from nasty parasites and he finally couldn't tolerate it anymore. That was at the beginning of me owning saltwater fish when I didn't know what that parasite is at first and later learned it was fluke. Which these days you can use prazipro to eradicate them. It works very well!!!

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hippo died on me yesterday. For this system i had been running a QT observation tank. Week of medicated foods, then a week of prazi, and observation. I think im going to add a treatment of paraguard to it. I rather not use copper if i can, as alot of the fish i want do not tolerate it well.

So as of this morning, im down to:

Pair of fairy Wrasses
One single gold bar maroon
Blue Lined Rabbit
Coral Beauty
Flame Hawkfish

The 125 is the newest. My reefs almost 2 years old, and my wifes reef is almost a year old now. Ive never had luck with bristletooths eating, so i should of known better.

For now ill see what the tank does, maybe order some new ones from Live Aquaria to save some travel time, and get em going in the 60 gallon QT.

back to the drawing board.

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hippo died on me yesterday. For this system i had been running a QT observation tank. Week of medicated foods, then a week of prazi, and observation. I think im going to add a treatment of paraguard to it. I rather not use copper if i can, as alot of the fish i want do not tolerate it well.

So as of this morning, im down to:

Pair of fairy Wrasses
One single gold bar maroon
Blue Lined Rabbit
Coral Beauty
Flame Hawkfish

The 125 is the newest. My reefs almost 2 years old, and my wifes reef is almost a year old now. Ive never had luck with bristletooths eating, so i should of known better.

For now ill see what the tank does, maybe order some new ones from Live Aquaria to save some travel time, and get em going in the 60 gallon QT.

back to the drawing board.

Hello,

First sorry about the tangs I know that is hard believe me. I have a purple tang and tommini tang and they do great together in my 240g along with my Naso hippo and Lt tang. I have found with my experience that tangs are kinda introverts. May I suggest this, make sure your 240g has cycled for 6 weeks min, then do not add any other fish at all, except the tangs.

When I had my 125 I tried to add a yellow tang hippo several times and they never made it. When I went to my 240 I kept my old fish but, I added the blue hippo first (most sensitive), then added my Naso, then Lt tang, then tommini then purple in that order. Of the bunch the leader is between the Naso and Lt tang, then blue hippo. My purple tang and tommini tang I swear are dating. They always stay right next to each other and both stay in the same rock cave.

MikeyTN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomini is one of the easier ones to keep. Like I've said as long as you can get a established tank going with some algae then try to get them to eat algae sheet then you'll be golden. That's how I got the kole tang to eat.

Hippos are quite finicky now days for me as well. First one died because he went right into a pump at night during lights off. Second and third were together at the same time but died from ich. So I got one from someone else's tank and it got ich right away so I did hypo and got rid of it. Added few more fish from some other people's tank that was established, bam ich again. But this one no treatment except I kept them fed very well. So far it's been kept at bay. Hopefully nothing else happens as I'm not adding anyone new for quite sometime cause I don't trust it.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

First sorry about the tangs I know that is hard believe me. I have a purple tang and tommini tang and they do great together in my 240g along with my Naso hippo and Lt tang. I have found with my experience that tangs are kinda introverts. May I suggest this, make sure your 240g has cycled for 6 weeks min, then do not add any other fish at all, except the tangs.

When I had my 125 I tried to add a yellow tang hippo several times and they never made it. When I went to my 240 I kept my old fish but, I added the blue hippo first (most sensitive), then added my Naso, then Lt tang, then tommini then purple in that order. Of the bunch the leader is between the Naso and Lt tang, then blue hippo. My purple tang and tommini tang I swear are dating. They always stay right next to each other and both stay in the same rock cave.
the 125 has been up for a good 6 months now i believe. Slowly been adding things. If i do the 240, ill be moving everything over at once like a tank upgrade would be. Id love to see photos of your LT tang!!

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomini is one of the easier ones to keep. Like I've said as long as you can get a established tank going with some algae then try to get them to eat algae sheet then you'll be golden. That's how I got the kole tang to eat.

Hippos are quite finicky now days for me as well. First one died because he went right into a pump at night during lights off. Second and third were together at the same time but died from ich. So I got one from someone else's tank and it got ich right away so I did hypo and got rid of it. Added few more fish from some other people's tank that was established, bam ich again. But this one no treatment except I kept them fed very well. So far it's been kept at bay. Hopefully nothing else happens as I'm not adding anyone new for quite sometime cause I don't trust it.
im going to order the new ones, get them fat and happy in Qt, and then move slowly to display. Hopefully that gets better luck.

MikeyTN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be aware they're voracious algae eater!!! I put it in a tank full of algae growing everywhere and it had it spotless within 2 days.

MikeyTN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way. The way I get them to eat algae sheets is by shredding it within the tank and they'll go after it. After few times I just toss the sheet in and they just go after it.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 55 55.6%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back