Tangs for 120galloons

3dees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UV will do nothing for ich. as far as algae, my one spot foxface and lawn mower blenny clean up any algae. don't mean to scare you away from tangs. many people keep them without problems. if I had a longer tank I would probably have one. with so many choices of beautiful fish I just don't want to worry about my tank becoming infected. yes, ich can infect any fish, but tangs have more problems then most fish. just my two cents.

Marshall O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UV can be useful in controlling Ich if the unit is high enough wattage and slow enough flow.

OP
OP
Oliver94

Oliver94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read somewhere that UV filtration can kill the ich parasite that is in the water.

Unfortunately I think the only negative side of having tangs is that they are really sensitive to ich ...

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have to remember, for an UV to kill ick, it has to get to the UV --- which means they would have to be pretty much free swimming, which is a very small part of their lifestage.

OP
OP
Oliver94

Oliver94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah you are right Trex,
but what is the utility of an uv filtration?

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, never saw much use in them --- tried one about 15 years ago, didn't notice any change.

I could see their use in moving water from one tank to another --- and all the water had to go through it.

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UV is great to have if you just want to add something that to your tank to polish the water and help a bit with algae control. It shouldn't be looked at to control parasites. Like said, the parasite would have to enter the uv. But all of them would have to which is unlikely for ones like ich.

Say you do add a uv. Best place to install is right before skimmer inlet so the skimmer can remove what goes through the sterilizer.

Overall a uv sterilizer is not necessary.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 16 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 133 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.0%
Back