Tangs for a 60x36x27 tank

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at building a new tank after a forced clean up after some rain, and my ideal size for the tank is 60x36x27, coming in around 250 gallons. I know some of the larger tangs want a 6 foot tank, but would I be able to house them with that depth and height with only a 5 foot tank? I'll be bringing my yellow tang along, but was hoping to get a powder blue or similar less aggressive tang in that species. Thanks!

OP
OP
Ocelaris

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I know they're a bit on the aggressive side but I am looking forward to tangs larger than the zebrasoma genus.

Syed123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a Powder Blue or a Powder Brown tang would work. Yes open rock work is a plus.

Mr. Limpid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My powder blue loves to swim. If you could go 72" it would much better for the powder blue. Plus make sure it has options, I made the rock work so he could go in a oval route or a figure 8. He does both and some sometimes he would go in the figure 8 for about an half hour and throw in one oval, he loves to swim.

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That size tank is fine for any of the acanthurus tangs IMO
Of course bigger is always better, but 60 x 36 is a big tank. I have an achilles in a 60 x 30 and it's doing very well so far. Eventually it could outgrow it, but I will then have an excuse to upgrade! My next tank I want to do at least 96 x 36 x 24

BradB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are probably okay if you only do 1 tang. I have 3 yellows, a Ctenochaetus and a Hepatus in a 4 foot cube. I wouldn't try to mix in a powder blue or really any other tang now, but it would be different if the tank were empty.

IMO flow is as important as size. I've seen Achilles and Powder Blues that looked happy 180 or smaller blowing around in high flow SPS tanks, but also seen ones swimming back and forth looking bored in larger low flow tanks.

cycled123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I think people get to hung up on the 6ft thing. If you measure your tank diagonally from one corner to other you have 6ft. I have a 48x36x24. No I do not get the magic 6ft number (5.2 when measuring on diagonal) but I just introduced a powder blue. He does not pace but is active. Mostly he swims in and out of the rock work. I agree with above that flow plays a roll too. I have a 4ft thriving African Cichlid tank with high flow. They get their exercise by swimming into the flow for awhile and then hang out in the rocks to rest and go at it again.

OP
OP
Ocelaris

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I definitely hope to have a lot of flow, and some quiet spots for my LPS. With the 36" width I'm hoping to be able to maintain more than my current 18" wide tank which is tough to have multiple "zones". I know powder blues are notoriously obnoxious, but I'll have to see when it comes time for an acanthurus.

I am setting up the transfer tanks now, so everyone will be going into the temporary tanks for a few months. It's going to be tight for a little while, but I want to try and introduce any new tangs at the same time with the existing yellow tang. I'm excited to be able to break out of the zebrasoma genus!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back