Tank aggression... HELP! Tomato and Bamboo shark

merlberg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 130 gal tank. My tank is pretty deep. I have an agressive tomato clown that likes to pick on newbies sometimes. I just purchased a baby bamboo shark and as soon as it hit the tank my tomato went ham on it and kept biting it. And now whenever it moves in thr tank the clown attacks it and since it’s a baby and these are its 1st tank mates it’s not attacking back. Any advice on what I should do because I rather return the shark then have it get beat up :/. If only I can catch the tomato then I would amd throw it in my other tank but dnt think i can.

OP
OP
merlberg

merlberg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
130 for a bamboo shark is too small. Do you plan on moving it to a bigger tank later?

Yes, I plan on moving it to a bigger tank after a couple of months, that’s when my new system will be done

OP
OP
merlberg

merlberg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would put the tomato in a acclimation box then remove the shark and find it a proper home. They need a 300+ gallon tank

I plan on moving it to a bigger tank after a couple of months, that’s when my new system will be done.

The clown is just so hard to catch but I may try again today.

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the ocean, sharks are a serious threat to other fish like clowns. In your clown’s mind, he’s trying to stay alive.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 130 gal tank. My tank is pretty deep. I have an agressive tomato clown that likes to pick on newbies sometimes. I just purchased a baby bamboo shark and as soon as it hit the tank my tomato went ham on it and kept biting it. And now whenever it moves in thr tank the clown attacks it and since it’s a baby and these are its 1st tank mates it’s not attacking back. Any advice on what I should do because I rather return the shark then have it get beat up :/. If only I can catch the tomato then I would amd throw it in my other tank but dnt think i can.

As mentioned above, a shark is a really poor tankmate for a fish that will defend it's territory. Sharks really do belong by themselves or with other sharks or rays for the most part.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Poor shark needs a bigger tank and the clown is gonna stress it to death. Overall a bad situation and YOU need to make a decision on which to keep before the shark dies. I would suggest doing more research prior to buying livestock.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of them needs to be moved immediately. Baby bamboo sharks can go on hunger strikes when stressed.

In the ocean, sharks are a serious threat to other fish like clowns. In your clown’s mind, he’s trying to stay alive.
Clowns are territorial almost no matter what, tomato clowns are notoriously aggressive. But bamboo and other similar sharks are not a threat to clowns.

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of them needs to be moved immediately. Baby bamboo sharks can go on hunger strikes when stressed.

Clowns are territorial almost no matter what, tomato clowns are notoriously aggressive. But bamboo and other similar sharks are not a threat to clowns.
I know. But were talking 130 gallons and unless these clowns are really large, I wouldn’t expect them to stray too far from their “house.” I had a full grown female maroon in a 500g and she didn’t go more than a foot or so away from her anemone. And she had plenty of other fish to worry about. Also, his clown was likely captive bred and has never seen a shark, but would definitely see something to be leery of.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know. But were talking 130 gallons and unless these clowns are really large, I wouldn’t expect them to stray too far from their “house.” I had a full grown female maroon in a 500g and she didn’t go more than a foot or so away from her anemone. And she had plenty of other fish to worry about. Also, his clown was likely captive bred and has never seen a shark, but would definitely see something to be leery of.
Fish aggression and personality vary, but with some of the larger, more aggressive clowns, I've had some swim across a 10' tank to try and attack my arm when doing maintenance. Some just view the whole tank as theirs regardless of what species the new inhabitant is.

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely need to rehome your shark, it will never be content unless you house it in the largest of systems. And yes your clown is highly territorial, you could put it in an acclimation box as mentioned to help newcomers, but the shark is still a problem.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomato clowns do have a reputation for aggression (similar to Maroons if not worse). Personally I wouldn't keep either a Tomato or Maroon in a community tank.

Back