OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really need to add my skimmer because I have foam that looks like hot chocolate that was made with bad milk forming on the surface of my water. Being that there is no top on the tank and it is in my workshop where the door is open all day to the outside the tank is also collecting a bunch of beatles that are up side down on the surface. One of them looks like Ringo.
I am also getting some lightning bugs in there but I feel that is a good thing because they are supplementing my lighting. I am not exactly sure of the spectrum though and they may grow cyano. :confused:

I need an archer fish in there to eat them because they don't sink and are starting to form an Island. :rolleyes:

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The little man is a champ showing off his battle scar...Did you teach him to tell the girls he got it in NAM........Paul whats your take on shoe laces:p

RyonFly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Paul, not sure if you run into this problem, but do you have an opinion on the collection of NSW after a storm? Would you do it next day or a tide cycle. Here in Florida it rains almost every day, my tank is set up similar to yours Sans ug filter.

RyonFly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always look forward to reading your post. Your advice you gave me about dealing with ich was spot on, fish are all happy and healthy.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like shoe laces. Real Men wear laces and you can use them for a tourniquet when you accidently stab yourself in the leg with a butter knife.

In Florida I would collect after a storm because you have a sand bottom and the water is flowing through it all the time anyway. Here in NY we have a mud bottom and if I collected after a storm, I would get mostly mud.

Last edited:

cdmckinzie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Paul, I'm glad your move went well. Hope your wife is feeling better. Please remind me the name of your book about keeping a tank and where I can get one? I can always search Google to find it but I can't remember the name. Thanks

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"NJY"

[emoji38]

Yeah, I know. Fat fingers. :confused:

Brew12, what did you think of my book? Even if you used it as kindling to light your fire place or clean the windows on your car, I would like an honest opinion. If you liked it, I may read it again as I forgot most of what I said. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Brew12, what did you think of my book? Even if you used it as kindling to light your fire place or clean the windows on your car, I would like an honest opinion. If you liked it, I may read it again as I forgot most of what I said. :rolleyes:
I loved it. I wish it would have been longer! I was quite surprised by how much fish treatment stuff you had in it.

If someone is looking for some deep material, your book isn't it. I read it for entertainment while on a cruise. For that, it was perfect. Brought new insight into things in a fun, easy to read way. Great for reading in small sections at a time. No problems putting it down to fight the bar traffic and reapply sunscreen. Definitely had me laughing a few times.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, I am not that deep of a person, especially in a hobby. I think I wrote some of it on a cruise. :p

If I write another one, I will make it sunscreen proof. :rolleyes:

Speaking of cruises, my wife and I are going out for dinner now on our boat. I have to take some time off from working on this place.
My friend who lives next door and took most of the underwater pictures in my book came here and cleaned the algae off the back of my tank which drifted all over my nice pristine tank. So I put the diatom filter on. The first one I connected just about spun, no matter how much oil I put on the thing. I need to take that one apart for a bearing issue. The next one I put on had a DIY diatom bag in it and it worked well. Of course when I cleaned it, one of the hoses came off and flooded my new floor with salt encrusted, dirty water filled with diatom powder. But with those horribly designed filters, that happens.

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You should at least re-read the introduction... That's the best but anyway.

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Paul, is your diatom filter homemade or store bought? I did several internet searches and only come up with one on eBay. It's a little pricey and would rather build one myself but I don't fully understand the design. It's kinda hard finding alot of info on them.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should at least re-read the introduction... That's the best but anyway.
What introduction? If you mean my book, my Daughter wrote that and she is the writer in the family.

Hotashes, I am not sure how you get it in the UK. I think it is available on Amazon and it is available in an E book. I get rick on those books. I think I get about 25 cents for each book sold. :confused:

Fishybusiness, I did not build any of my diatom filters but out of the five or so of them I have I re designed all of them and none work very well. They have two main problems and about a dozen smaller problems.

The motor is garbage and doesn't last long. The bearings, especially the one near the impeller which gets some salt water on it is very hard, if not impossible to oil. The oil tube rots away so I drilled holes near the top bearing to oil that one but to oil the lower bearing you need to take the unit apart and it gets very rusty in salt water so it is a trick putting it back together again. The motor also gets very hot which is what helps break down the oil on the bearings.

The inside bag is also not designed well and after a number of years, it also rots. The lower seal needs to be replaced often because the units leak after a few years due to the diatom powder being very abrasive.
I made the bag for mine but it is not as large as the original. Some day I will build an entirely new filter that will hopefully correct all of those problems.

The thing works by having this porous bag inside that the water gets pumped through. You add diatom powder to the unit and it coats the bag. The powder has microscope pores in it which filters the water and it does it extremely well when it is working.

Also the XL filter on the left has a much smaller impeller than the smaller unit which makes no sense at all.

A

Last edited:

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Seems like someone would have come up with a better design by now for a seemingly very useful device! Wishful thinking I guess. Thanks for your in depth response. I think I will hold off on it for now..

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 21.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back