OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got back from my favorite LFS. It is a very old, filthy place but he usually has some interesting stuff and he practically gives it away.

Unfortunately I came back empty because he had more dead and dying fish than healthy, or at least breathing fish and nothing interesting. There was a tank with about 20 small Bangai Cardinals with about half of them dead. Purple anthius mostly dead and a lot of other deceased fish.

I don't mind a few spots but I would at least like the fish to still be alive long enough to put them in the bag.

I really hate to see dead fish. I didn't stop to chat as my wife was in the car so I don't know if all those fish came in like that or they died in the store.
Really sad. :(

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GOTTCHA! Caught both my Fiji damsels this morning and took them to my local LFS. I traded them for 3 Springer damsels. My Fijis were very aggressive to any newcomers and killed 2 firefish and any small fish I try to introduce. As with the majority of my fish they spawned regular and did so in some barnacle shells. While at the LFS I bought a female, I believe, fireball angel. I will look for a make for it. All 4 fish are in my DT and hiding at the moment but not getting hassled by any of my other fish. Springer damsels are one of the few placid damsels.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took my walk this morning down to the beach. This is what it looked like when I came back to my house just at sunrise.

Spooky, Eerie and beautiful

Sunrise.jpg

Foggy.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, thats my favorite time of the day. Now that it is getting warmer I will take those shots on the beach like I did last year. I love those scenes,

I am sure these are sunsets.

This was over the Bronx New York. How cool is that. And I don't know how to photoshop so it is what it is.

You got to get those shots just right or you will be here

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today is "Viet Nam War Veterans" Day.

National Vietnam War Veterans Day, we recognize the many men and women who served and fought during the difficult conflict, giving them the appreciation they deserve.

It was on March 29, 1973, after nearly two decades of conflict, when the U.S. withdrew military forces from South Vietnam. The Vietnam War was one of the longest wars in U.S. history, spanning several presidents and affecting many generations.

However, those who served in the war haven't always gotten the support they deserve. Some of them, History noted, were even treated with disrespect and hostility when they returned. Some were spat on, heckled, given the middle finger, or threatened. This despite the horrible experiences and "unspeakable horrors" they lived through in Vietnam.

In 2017, National Vietnam War Veterans Day was established to finally give those who served the honor they deserve. Since then, the day has been celebrated every March 29.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, Paul.

I'd like to make a quarantine joke to cheer you up but I don't think I'm up to that task today. I remember the hippies and the war vets returning. That was when I decided I really didn't like most of the Free Love Movement. I've been paying ever since, but this isn't about me, Thanks for your service sir!

I'm just catching up today and I'll be praying for that knee and the rest of your trials. I'm a big fan of prayer. RIP Tommy. You have some really good friends.

American Storm GIF

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kris, Thank you. Who the heck is in that video? I love it.

I know a lot of people had it much worse than me when they came home. Now they have parades, parties, bill boards, TV spots etc. I am sure you know when Nam Vets came home we were not treated like that at all, except by our friends most of whom were also Vets.

I got home in March 1971 and my Mother kept the Christmas lights up on our house. They were lit when I came home with a huge "Welcome Home" sign on the house. The next day they had a party for me.
(Remember there were no cell phones or computers so no calls to home for the year I was in the bush)

On my last day I was in the jungle on the Cambodian border. My friend had a LOH helicopter and he flew me maybe a hundred miles to another firebase, then I got on a larger Huey to go further. Than a fixed wing plane to an Air Force Base down south. On our way in the LOH we were drinking "Wild Turkey" and flying under bridges and places I would rather not remember.

I left Nam still dirty in a TWA plane and 24 hours later after stopping in Japan and Alaska I was left off in the middle of the night in McArthur airport in New jersey 50 or 100 miles from my home. I got out and kissed the ground.

During that 24 hour flight we got bologna sandwiches on white bread, no mustard, lettuce or anything, with water for the 3 meals. No movie.

We didn't have American money in Nam so I had nothing on me and they gave us a 15 cent subway token to get home.
There are no subways in New Jersey.

No Good bye, thanks for coming, Have a nice day, drop dead, nothing. Just a subway token.
The guys who were supposed to fill out our discharge papers were not up so we were supposed to wait until day time.
We started to riot so My future wife and Sister N Law filled out all our discharge papers so we could leave.

Most of the information was not on my papers including my medals. That stuff was added about 20 years later when I contacted the VA.

That was my last day in the Army. Thank God my Mother, Brother and future wife picked me up or I would have had to do what most guys did, hitch hike.

But, at least I made it home. More than 58,000 Americans didn't.

Last edited:

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul
I don't know the person who is holding our flag but I liked the clip also.

I've been meaning to ask, do you ever sell those bottles for people who want to start a new tank but can't get live rock? I have been in a few remote tropical paradise locations with my mask and snorkle poking around in pristine environments and I don't know how many times I have thought; "There's another one of Paul B's empties." They are ubiquitos.

Did you happen to save that $0.15 subway token? I went looking on line and the NYC fare was up to $0.20 when you returned. It was a good thing your family picked you up. If you had tried to use that slug in the NYC area you probably would have landed in the Transit Authority clinker and had to wait a few more days before you got a bath. Still, they probably would have given you a better sandwich than the one you got while on the plane back home.

I have flown in a helo a few times but never drunk under a bridge. You got me there.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back