Tank birthday, 47+ years

  • Thread starter Thread starter Paul B
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
someone should shut him down his post is not about aquariums , long winded like its his private platform about an app in Florida for shark encounters StorageUnit731
Can't help some people... but a hammer can 🤪
 
Well I never liked the idea of DSBs. They have a lifetime of about 10 years and almost all of our fish live way longer than that.
I think most people keep their tank much too sterile.
I like LED lighting but I didn't build a unit yet.
In the beginning we used regular flourescent lights, then VHO, then compact flourescents then MH, now we will all soon have LEDs.
Besides that, everything is the same except for our knowledge.

monti003.jpg
Paul does that make you 73 ?
 
This morning just as the sun came up I was on the beach at dead low tide collecting amphipods.

Sunrise for amphipods.jpg


It only happens a few times in the summer that it is low tide early when I walk and it is not pouring rain. I collected thousands of them and they are now in a container in my tank at the surface with just a little corner of the container below water.

I do that because there is a lot of small seaweed pieces mixed in and I don't want that flying all over my tank clogging my intakes. The amphipods take a day or two to find their way into my tank.

I "shoot" about half of them in my undergravel filter where they breed forever as I have some from a few years ago and my algae scrubber is loaded with them.

To collect them I walk on the rocks at low tide and lift these rocks that are not stuck in the mud as those rocks will not yield any amphipods because they need oxygen. I then swirl those rocks in a bucket of seawater.

Of course, if you quarantine, medicate or are worried about parasites, you can't do that and would be better off knitting or watching soap operas on TV. 😎

Amphipod rocks.jpg


There are also crabs, snails and sometimes baby eels under these rocks.

I also found two flat pieces of driftwood that I placed in an area that I cleared of rocks so the next time I go, they will also be covered in amphipods as amphipods love rotting wood.
 
OOOOhhhh NNNNooo. Heavy Breathing!!!!

No, not the fish, that would be silly. On my morning walks to the beach, I have to walk down, then up 176 steep steps so I have to breathe heavy. 😬
 
Paul have you ever considered that the pump used in your cleaning system with the filter is the wrong design ? What about a utility transfer pump that primes itself . However more powerful so would need a valve to slow the flow down
 
Had they invented cotton by then?
No, I used burlap. 😬
Paul have you ever considered that the pump used in your cleaning system with the filter is the wrong design ? What about a utility transfer pump that primes itself . However more powerful so would need a valve to slow the flow down
No, the system is perfect. The thing will start even if it is only slightly full because the pump is on the bottom.

Self priming pumps generally don't pump too good because it is a totally different mechanism.
 
oh no. what is it? i dont do youtube
They just banned any mention of God at any service ceremony for the military here but the natives can do what they want. I am getting sicker by the day living here. My once proud Country is disappearing
 
No, I used burlap. 😬

No, the system is perfect. The thing will start even if it is only slightly full because the pump is on the bottom.

Self priming pumps generally don't pump too good because it is a totally different mechanism.
I have nothing but problems getting it to prime. I am obviously missing something maybe a third arm
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 2 7.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new