Tank birthday, 47+ years

C4ctus99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I ain’t got a granddaughter yet, probably 30 years out from that, but when I do I’m sure I’ll love it when she comes over.

Does she share your love of fish?

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She used to like them more. Now she wants to take them out and hug them. :anguished-face:

She is 10

We were just looking at them and adjusting the bubbler, sunken ship her and her Brother gave me a few years ago.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
B1EryObaEWS._CLa_2140,2000_71PLXYlF8hL.png_0,0,2140,2000+0.0,0.0,2140.0,2000.0_AC_UL1500_.jpeg
20230328_164242.jpg

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A guy living near me offered his Starry blenny FOC. Now I already had 2 which got on most of the time just the occasional chase. The one he had killed his Royal gramma he reckoned.

Anyway, although I have 2 RGs i decided to accept it as mine never bothered my RGs and my tank is a lot bigger than his so there was a good chance all would be well.

I now have 3 Starry blennies without any issues. Can't get a pic of all 3 near one another though. Hopefully I will one day.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that my tank "seems" to be free of encrusting sponge my corals look hugely better. The toxins from the sponge was severely limiting the growth of those. Now they all have full extension even though they are all surrounded by hair algae.

Hopefully the algae is smothering any remaining sponge and I know it is purifying the water of any remaining sponge toxins and eliminating the organics that I have left from cleaning my rocks in the dark and cold.

I am finding corals that I thought were gone so I bought a bubble coral today to see how it does. If in a couple of weeks it still does well, I will fill my tank with some of the corals that were smothered by sponge. Of course I have to many fish :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I didn't know it made it to Alaska. You should have ordered the one binded in seal skin with Polar Bear fur trim.

Thank You and I hope you like it :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
I’m not in Alaska but can I order the “Alaskan” issued version with one small change? I’d like to get BABY seal skin. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you could get Duck Billed Platypus skin if you like but due to the Platypus processing it will look just like glossy paper. Depending on the Platypuses diet of course. :)

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not in Alaska but can I order the “Alaskan” issued version with one small change? I’d like to get BABY seal skin. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
Ok, @907_Reefer , trying to figure out if you loved the above post because I'm not in Alaska or you just love baby seal skin? :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I was in a book store here and they orderd my book to keep in their store. I tried to explain to them that itis a very limited audience but they like local authors and the Long Island Aquarium is next door so maybe they will get some fish lovers.

The local library here also has it. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this in my old Log book and it wasn't easy. I started the log in 1971 and it goes to about 1992. I have a bunch of extensive notes and many things I am embarrassed to say I did because at that time, there were no Salt water fish medications so I used people meds usually not with good results. Look at some of the medications I used in 1975. :oops: I was like Humblefish then. Now I know better and don't use any medications. :D

Log Book.jpg

I know,,,,Scary.

But this is how I say I cured HLLE on a French Angelfish

HLLE.jpg

I wrote this in the 70s and barely remember it but HLLE on a French Angel would look really bad. (We didn't call it HLLE then. It was "Fading Color Disease")

I used Cod Liver Oil capsules. I would stick a pill with a pin and disperse a couple of drops of the oil on the surface after I shut off the pumps. It would make a slick on the entire tank and will be absorbed in flake food. Flakes are something I would never feed except for this treatment.

You can take this "cure" as you like. :D

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I add the contents of 2 capsules of cod liver oil to my mix of defrosted frozen food along with 2 capsules of krill oil. I make rough food to feed 3 times a day for approximately 5 days. I don't get any oil floating on the surface of my water. Not all the oils are absorbed but it seems a high % of it is.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Build Threads are an easy and good way to keep track of these things.
No "Build threads" or computers then. Also no cell phones, Justin Beiber, Taylor Swift, credit cards or just about anything else.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No "Build threads" or computers then. Also no cell phones, Justin Beiber, Taylor Swift, credit cards or just about anything else.
Actually, credit cards have been around longer than most people realize. The first "modern day" card came out in 1950. However, they were around much farther back than 1950.

907_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The good ol' days!

I had time to start the book yesterday, I'm going to love it. Having grown up next door in SE CT, your intro is bringing back fond childhood memories of my grandfather taking me fishing for flounder and stripers in Long Island Sound, deck handing with my neighbor a lobsterman, and fishing for crabs from the beach with chicken legs on a string :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back