Tank birthday, 47+ years

C4ctus99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your service Paul.

Went with my grandad (USCG) on a 5k Memorial Day run… although he’s 81 so it quickly turned into a walk. He is very proud of his hat and wears it every memorial day

FB341700-89A3-4260-B9D1-8C4120614A5A.jpeg

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your Grand Dad has the same shirt as me. Look at my above post with the flags.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last week I released 6 of the 7 butterflies I grew. One of them, not this one was born with a bum wing and she can't fly.

I still have her in a cage where she can flap around and she "eats" or drinks Gatorade. She seems fine but a little bored. I think they only live a couple of weeks so when she dies, I will bury her.

Butterfly.jpg

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took this
Microscope.JPG
through my vintage microscope from a floating piece of slime on the surface of my tank.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I walked down to the sea this morning and the water was very clear.
Shallow water.JPG

I am on the Seal, Turtle, whale, dolphin and Supermodel rescue squad so I search the beach in the morning.

To my horror I see this seal. I ran towards her to see if she was in distress.

Far seal.JPG

I got closer and realized, the "seal" didn't need me. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Near seal.JPG

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I finally broke down and took out my vintage microscope that I got from Galileo to see what this stuff is that is growing all over my tank in ugly strands which I thought was an evil algae. But like some people told me, it is dino's. Millions of them (I counted).

I took this from just putting my finger in the floating gunk on the water surface.

Dino's.jpg

I know it looks like the moon, but it isn't. They are dinos and they are alive, well and doing the macarana all over my tank. I find them rather interesting but they are beginning to bore me. I want to leave them there a little while longer until I am totally sure there is no more invasive sponge in my tank and these guys will smother anything trying to encrust on the rocks.

Soon I will change out this ASW which I am not thrilled with and again fill my tank with nice slightly polluted New York real seawater which should eliminate these guys. I think it's the sauerkraut water from the Hot Dog carts that does it.

In spite of all these dino's the tank is doing very well and the corals look great. I have about 44 fish but most of them are tiny so they are very hard to count, sort of like counting dino's.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dinos will burn themselves out just needs a bit of time. You can speed the process up by playing them so jitterbug, 50s rock and roll and the like but not a slow walts.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I have also been playing "In a Godda Da Vida" backwards. :oops:

I suck them out every other day with my diatom filter and it almost clogs my sink. :confused:

Prolific little fellows.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I have also been playing "In a Godda Da Vida" backwards. :oops:

I suck them out every other day with my diatom filter and it almost clogs my sink. :confused:

Prolific little fellows.
What if you just left them to burn themselves out? Maybe by sucking them out you are prolonging their stay.

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I want a Yellow Clown Goby! Love those little guys...but every time I see them at a LFS they always look malnourished so I pass on them. :confused:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe by sucking them out you are prolonging their stay.
I am not sure. I will ask them. :rolleyes:

I want a Yellow Clown Goby! Love those little guys...but every time I see them at a LFS they always look malnourished so I pass on them. :confused:
Yes they are, but they fatten up nicely in a week or two if you feed them tiny frozen food.
If you have acropora, only get one because they spawn all over them and kill them. You can see her eggs above her here.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Doctor called me today to say he has my MRI. It seems the two tendons that hold my arm on my shoulder are both completely torn off the bone and that is bone on bone. My bicep is also shredded like cottage cheese. So if I turn fast my arm may fly off and hit someone casually walking by.

He said he is surprised I can move my arm at all. So my surgery is set for about 8 weeks from now and I will be getting a Brand new shiny aluminum shoulder most likely from Home Depot.

Now I go for (I think) a CAT scan so I may have to bring my Daughters cat. They need that to see how to build the artificial shoulder joint. This will be I think my 8th shoulder surgery and I also think my 33rd surgery in all. I am going for a record.

I already have a new knee which I am very happy with :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

C4ctus99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Doctor called me today to say he has my MRI. It seems the two tendons that hold my arm on my shoulder are both completely torn off the bone and that is bone on bone. My bicep is also shredded like cottage cheese. So if I turn fast my arm may fly off and hit someone casually walking by.

He said he is surprised I can move my arm at all. So my surgery is set for about 8 weeks from now and I will be getting a Brand new shiny aluminum shoulder most likely from Home Depot.

Now I go for (I think) a CAT scan so I may have to bring my Daughters cat. They need that to see how to build the artificial shoulder joint. This will be I think my 8th shoulder surgery and I also think my 33rd surgery in all. I am going for a record.

I already have a new knee which I am very happy with :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
I always love your comments on the medical things going on, very well put :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

May have to special order but I’m sure Home Depot sells shoulders

BillFish Coral Lover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I never liked the idea of DSBs. They have a lifetime of about 10 years and almost all of our fish live way longer than that.
I think most people keep their tank much too sterile.
I like LED lighting but I didn't build a unit yet.
In the beginning we used regular flourescent lights, then VHO, then compact flourescents then MH, now we will all soon have LEDs.
Besides that, everything is the same except for our knowledge.

monti003.jpg
And the Under Gravel filters! I can’t believe it still works! That’s awesome!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back