Tank Build ?

joeyhatch11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to build a tank that's 48x18x18 with 1/2 glass. The glass will be placed on the outside edges of the bottom piece for better strength and support. My question is, does this tank need a brace when using 1/2 glass? Tank calculators all point to using 1/4 glass and adding a euro brace. Thoughts?

tigerdragon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would prolly add a center brace about 2" wide just for bow or you could do euro bracing but i think one center brace should be enough considering tank is not that deep or wide

ReeferEric

Resident Reef Junky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll be fine, my frag tank is 48x24x10. That's with 1/4" glass, don't ask. LOL

Holding fine with two MP10s and the return flow.

OP
OP
joeyhatch11

joeyhatch11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I'd be nervous on that one, would have gone 3/8 lol. How long has the tank been up and running? Are the front, back and sides seated on top of the bottom piece of glass or to the bottom edges?

Last edited:

ReeferEric

Resident Reef Junky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the tank that way and after I had redid the silicone, it was too late to turn back. It's strudy for now, I've had people lean on it as well. The tank has been up for sometime now, maybe since the beginning of the year.

Glass is on top of the bottom panel, which I also recommend. If your going to do the sides, things coming into play. Boeing out can cause seal separation unless you've braced it at the bottom.

OP
OP
joeyhatch11

joeyhatch11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After watching a build video on a 48x9x9 frag tank with 1/2 glass. It was suggested that any tank 48 or larger with a width of 16+, the glass should be silicone to the other edges of the bottom panel and that by doing so it would have more strength that way. What comes into play when doing this?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back