Tank circulation

alohacoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have 250L set up. Two tanks share the same water, fish and coral tank on top and coral frag tank on a bottom (this one also have a fish). Echinophyllia aspera is in both tank but one in the bottom tank is in bad condition. I am using the same light and giving them same food at the same time. Could you tell me possible reasons why one is doing really good and one is not? It is happening with other corals too and it's not always the same tank being bad. One species can be good in the tank A but bad in B but another species doing good in B but doing bad in A...

A.jpg B.jpg

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm post parameters folks always ask for it.

It’s hard to say without seeing the full setup. Light could be a little off, flow differences... Have you tried moving the piece to where the healthy one is?

OP
OP
A

alohacoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm post parameters folks always ask for it.

It’s hard to say without seeing the full setup. Light could be a little off, flow differences... Have you tried moving the piece to where the healthy one is?

Thank you for your reply.
Some of them become healthy again when I move them back.
The light for the top one turns off an hour early so might be it, but is that going to be a big difference?

Ca:400ppm
Mg:1400ppm
KH5.6dKH
No3:0.25
Po4:0.04
salinity: :34

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree your Alk is low 8.5-10 is my corals happy spot, you definitely want to get it higher especially if you’re running a SPS dominant tank. I know it shouldn’t make a difference since both tanks are connected but have you tested both tank parameters?

In this scenario I don’t think your light has a major impact there isn’t enough of a difference.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree 1000% that your alkalinity is way too low. Bring it up slowly - water changes are probably your best bet for getting it back into range especially if you are using a reef specific salt.

Because they are tied to the same water, I would tend to discount that as the reason that otherwise identical corals will do well in one tank and not the other. You say the lights are the same - but are they really? If T5 - are they the same age? If LED are they the same type and in either case, are they at the same distance from the water? Is the FT the same depth as the DT? You would be very surprised at just how much a little bit of water will attenuate the light, so if they are of different depths, really they shouldn't be at the same settings anyway.

Although they are separate systems, I have the same sort of issues with my DT (standard 4x2x2 120g) and FT (4 x 2 x 12" 60g) that started when I moved my old lights form the DT down to the FT (AI Sol blues) and replaced them with Radion XR30 G4 pros on the DT. I was lucky enough to have a friend bring over his par meter or otherwise I may never have figured it out. At what appeared to me to be the same intensity as the Sols, the par level in the DT was more than double. I quickly turned them down and allowed the corals to acclimate over a period of a couple months. Everybody in the DT is now much happier! The same thing happened to the FT - perhaps even worse. I had been using a pair of Kessil A360w's on the FT, leaning towards the bluer spectrum. When I put the Sols on it, I kept the same settings I had been using with them on the DT. Everything bleached and most of my frags died before I figured that one out. I reduced the intensity by over 50% and now finally things are turning around there.

What may look to be the same can be wildly different for a number of reasons. Just because you think they are the same does not mean that they really are!

Good luck, and keep us updated!!!

OP
OP
A

alohacoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know... I was trying so hard to get KH at least 7 and using reef foundation B from redsea but the powder one was not working well. The powder part was stuck on the bottom so the dosing pump was adding just a water... I just found out last night and bought the liquid one so hope this will solve the problem.

OP
OP
A

alohacoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree 1000% that your alkalinity is way too low. Bring it up slowly - water changes are probably your best bet for getting it back into range especially if you are using a reef specific salt.

Because they are tied to the same water, I would tend to discount that as the reason that otherwise identical corals will do well in one tank and not the other. You say the lights are the same - but are they really? If T5 - are they the same age? If LED are they the same type and in either case, are they at the same distance from the water? Is the FT the same depth as the DT? You would be very surprised at just how much a little bit of water will attenuate the light, so if they are of different depths, really they shouldn't be at the same settings anyway.

Although they are separate systems, I have the same sort of issues with my DT (standard 4x2x2 120g) and FT (4 x 2 x 12" 60g) that started when I moved my old lights form the DT down to the FT (AI Sol blues) and replaced them with Radion XR30 G4 pros on the DT. I was lucky enough to have a friend bring over his par meter or otherwise I may never have figured it out. At what appeared to me to be the same intensity as the Sols, the par level in the DT was more than double. I quickly turned them down and allowed the corals to acclimate over a period of a couple months. Everybody in the DT is now much happier! The same thing happened to the FT - perhaps even worse. I had been using a pair of Kessil A360w's on the FT, leaning towards the bluer spectrum. When I put the Sols on it, I kept the same settings I had been using with them on the DT. Everything bleached and most of my frags died before I figured that one out. I reduced the intensity by over 50% and now finally things are turning around there.

What may look to be the same can be wildly different for a number of reasons. Just because you think they are the same does not mean that they really are!

Good luck, and keep us updated!!!

Thank you very much for your reply. I leaned a lot from your information. I was just testing one tank, I will try to measure both. Also, the tank depth is different so the water depth is different. I will check and adjust my tank carefully. What do you men by "reduced intensity by 50%"?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back