Tank cleaning

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
One thing we face as reefers is the task of cleaning. To many, cleaning is siphoning and clearing the glass. There are many levels of cleaning and some of us clean weekly-Bi Weekly and monthly. Some things often overlooked are fans for lights and chiller units as examples, plumbing lines, impellers, check valve, UV sterilizer channel, and sensors like ATO types.
Cleaning extends the life of equipment and makes them efficient.

To what extent do you do cleaning, and what tools and chemicals do you use?

There is mixed reaction with use of vinegar, citric acid and other agents such as bleach. I use citric acid for pumps and vinegar for components. I clean the fans on my lights bi-monthly, fans on chiller unit when I remember, Glass regularly and sump never. Im guilty of not cleaning return pump and algae scrubber pump as well as UV pump but will do so this week. The sensor for my ATO and AWC gets cleaned when I remember. I currently use the flipper edge for my glass as the mighty Magnet set is too strong.

And of course water changes. I dont disturb the sand bed if I dont have to but at least 3X a year, i loosen it up with siphon. I do daily water changes.

water change.jpg

Daftendire

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My main weekly clean involves siphoning detritus from the display into a sump filter sock. I use a rigid acrylic tube with a length of poly tubing attached to it. That allows me to poke and scrape bubble algae while siphoning. It's quick and easy, since I don't have to shut any pumps off.

While doing a sump cleanout, I decided to inspect my gate valve on a secondary drain line. Turns out it was completely clogged and the stench of the water that came pouring out made me want to gag. I had been losing coral for an unknown reason before I discovered this issue. It's all smooth sailing now. Check your plumbing!

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My system is a little more complicated than most. 1) It's 1500g 2) It is comprised of 5 different tanks 3) 1/2 the system volume is outside. 4) I am old and really lazy.

Several times a week I have to clean the viewing panes of the display tank.

Once every 5-6 weeks I clean the glass on the outdoor frag tanks.

Every 6 months I Citric acid clean the powerheads in the outdoor tanks. When I was running Gyres this was a every 6 week issue.

Every 18-24 Months I citric soak the return pumps and skimmer.

Every 6 months I change a roller mat

Every 3-6 years I drain the sump and wetdry vac the crap out of the bottom.

This past winter I drained both frag tanks (one at a time) and soaked and cleaned and bladed them back to new - First time doing that in 6+ years.

UV Bulbs get changed annually

Dasatco Calcium Rx gets filled about every 12-18 months

Kalkwasser filled up every 4 weeks

CO2 tank swapped every 6 weeks

4k day RODI System - Filters every 24 months, Membrane every 24 months, DI Resin annually (50lb tank)

Outside of wiping down the algae growth on the viewing panels, which is amazing how fast it grows. I maybe spend only an hour a 2 a month on maintenance. Every few months there is a day in which the system gets 2-4 hours of time. And annually some piece of equipment fails that takes a couple hours of time. But at this point the system can run itself for upto 6 weeks at a time. 6 weeks is the amount of time a 50lb CO2 tank lasts.

Dave B

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
My system is a little more complicated than most. 1) It's 1500g 2) It is comprised of 5 different tanks 3) 1/2 the system volume is outside. 4) I am old and really lazy.

Several times a week I have to clean the viewing panes of the display tank.

Once every 5-6 weeks I clean the glass on the outdoor frag tanks.

Every 6 months I Citric acid clean the powerheads in the outdoor tanks. When I was running Gyres this was a every 6 week issue.

Every 18-24 Months I citric soak the return pumps and skimmer.

Every 6 months I change a roller mat

Every 3-6 years I drain the sump and wetdry vac the crap out of the bottom.

This past winter I drained both frag tanks (one at a time) and soaked and cleaned and bladed them back to new - First time doing that in 6+ years.

UV Bulbs get changed annually

Dasatco Calcium Rx gets filled about every 12-18 months

Kalkwasser filled up every 4 weeks

CO2 tank swapped every 6 weeks

4k day RODI System - Filters every 24 months, Membrane every 24 months, DI Resin annually (50lb tank)

Outside of wiping down the algae growth on the viewing panels, which is amazing how fast it grows. I maybe spend only an hour a 2 a month on maintenance. Every few months there is a day in which the system gets 2-4 hours of time. And annually some piece of equipment fails that takes a couple hours of time. But at this point the system can run itself for upto 6 weeks at a time. 6 weeks is the amount of time a 50lb CO2 tank lasts.

Dave B
We're in the same boat

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i do daily glass scrapping. a monthly/bi-monthly sump siphoning of detritus (dependent on if my sump CUC is being lazy). and like half year pump cleanings (2x wavepumps + 1x return pump). what i truly need to start doing is more frequent pump cleanings as well as the addition of light maintenance. noticed my ai fuge light has accumulated a lot of salt creep within the fan air filter (top area of light) and i know it will ruin the light eventually if i do not act quickly..

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back