Tank Construction and Measurements for the Pros

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Standard 10" fish tank is 20" L x 10" W x 12" H. According to this picture off Aqueon, a 10 gallon tank is 10 1/2" across. Why are there 1/2" discrepancies? I am trying to nail down a way to properly measure the widths of various sized tanks, and I don't have them in front of me. Would like to be able to apply the process to 20 gallon, 40 gallon, etc.

1) When the tank is glued together, do the longer pieces of glass go over the shorter pieces on the ends, or do the longer pieces push up against the end of the tank? I would assume its the same on both sides ?

2) When manufacturers measure a tank , do they remove the width of the glass? For a 10 gallon tank with 1/4" glass width, 6 mm, is the 10" measurement really 10" - (2 x 6 mm) ? At the end of the day I just want to know down to the mm the length from left to right of a glass tank rated for 10" width.

Any and all help is appreciated !

1695680327029.png

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dimensions from the picture would make an 11.5 gallon tank so I assume it's being measured to the plastic moldings.

The end panes can be between or against front/rear panes - builders choice. Against is slightly stronger - causes shorter front and rear panes.

Tank measurement is like measuring the square footage of a house - outside dimensions.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 161 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back