Tank crash depression...someone...anyone...help

needbiggertanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
keep up the hope and don't remove the frags. You're numbers are looking better, and I'll be watching to see how the tank progresses. I remember after mine, my green monti was the one that bounced back the strongest/fastest. good luck

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was browsing through threads the other day and I came across a post "..one tank crash can make someone leave the hobby for good..", I skimmed by it and thought, my tank crashed before and I got through it! Over the last 7-8 months I've developed a pretty successful SPS dominated nano tank, I had beautiful coralline algae encrusting and several of my sticks were really starting to color up and encrust the rock, I was so proud and started to finally regain confidence in my reef keeping abilities. I had several frags in racks stuck to the glass and really needed a new rock to stick them too, I had a section in my tank that would look great for a home for a good chunk of live rock and my frags. So I set off in search of the perfect piece of LR, I know my system was crazy sensitive due to its size and contents so I wanted to be very picky about the place I would purchase this rock from. I traveled an hour away to a very reputable fish and coral store that we all know and love! They steered me towards a piece of Man Made rock, it was perfect! I stared at it for awhile and decided I'd take it home, longer story short I glued all my frags to it and it looked great!
2712bc1031f2b0efa71c5b2d3affd50a.jpg
f6ffafe15094f399025ce242eb3eda8b.jpg
87cc50083b9e784e1cd4f97c9268faee.jpg
bb9bb3f28cd67cdf2faba016604b61ac.jpg

If I dare say, I was finally happy with the way my tank looked and could start to sit back and enjoy watching it grow after almost a year of hard work!

After about 3 days I could tell something was wrong, my red setosa which is normally a deep red was starting to look almost translucent and pink! I tested my water and ALK SPIKE from 8.5 to 11-12 was the only thing different than my normal parameters. The next day, my red monti was doing the same, the next day greens and vivid blues were all muted paled versions of themselves. So I did a water change and now it would seem everything is back to normal as far as water parameters go. However I've suffered great loss in colors in 85% of my sps but the whole tank has taken a hard hit .

Months and months of hard work gone down the drain, I feel like giving up and smashing my tank. It's crazy how depressed this has made me, everything I worked for is gone, money spent, time spent GONE!

Please I need someone to make me feel like I still have a fighting chance.
The colors will come back. Lesson learned. You can get over a problem like this. You won't get over leaving the hobby.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man... I am so sorry... believe me, as you probably saw from my three tank wipeout thread in February, I know how you feel.

Hang in there. Let me know if there is anything I can do for you or if you just want to vent to me.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! Keeping it together for now, doesn't help I quit nicotine this same week! But I'm determined to see both goals through! You guys are awesome!
Go get 'em tiger!!

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know how you feel. I'm not dealing with a crash, but Dinos! Almost 2 years into this hobby without anything major until this. It's disheartening to watch your corals slowly start to die off. What really hit me hard is to see my Hawkins that started from an inch frag start to get STN. My mind is in circles from all the reading of the Dino threads, do I try everything that I read or do I just do nothing and let it run it's course, meanwhile my corals are suffering.:(

OP
OP
ReeferMadness80G

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did something.....
a391d246e032d8c534269144c39581b8.jpg
6f20579efa06607608b6379b1daeedf7.jpg
3811ead513fecec014ca8cf637c78286.jpg

Removed some of the sps that were complete goners and got some new life in the tank. I'm nervous about them like i was the first time I put sticks in my tank, but honestly my levels are back to normal and I just had to know if I could continue to grow sps, rather than wait for all my existing sticks to bounce back. Guess we'll see.

OP
OP
ReeferMadness80G

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, thanks again for your kind words. I will/have tried to pay it forward and help anyone I see going through a crash. My tank seems to be on the up and up and anyone interested in following up on my tank, I'll be updating my build thread as normal now. I will post the link below! Thanks again My Rimless 14G Biocube SPS Reef

https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?threads/My-Rimless-14G-Biocube-SPS-Reef.264110/

OP
OP
ReeferMadness80G

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, thanks again for your kind words. I will/have tried to pay it forward and help anyone I see going through a crash. My tank seems to be on the up and up and anyone interested in following up on my tank, I'll be updating my build thread as normal now. I will post the link below! Thanks again My Rimless 14G Biocube SPS Reef

https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?threads/My-Rimless-14G-Biocube-SPS-Reef.264110/

Edit: At the beginning of the build thread(above) you'll notice I have crashed this tank before. These two crashes are totally separate, about a year apart.

OP
OP
ReeferMadness80G

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sps is not fit for small tank. It's inevitable doom to crash.

Thanks for being so pessimistic, however we didn't land on the moon with that kind of attitude, I'm sure ppl like you never accomplish much. Feel free to sit in the corner you back yourself in on a daily basis twiddling your thumbs muttering under your breath and watch my thread. I'll link it below.

N4sty T4te

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for being so pessimistic, however we didn't land on the moon with that kind of attitude, I'm sure ppl like you never accomplish much. Feel free to sit in the corner you back yourself in on a daily basis twiddling your thumbs muttering under your breath and watch my thread. I'll link it below.

Haha, cracking me up. I have to hand it to you though. Keeping a small tank stable is NOT EASY.

But think of how easy you'll think it is when you get a bigger system. Master it on a small scale = success on the large scale.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back