Tank Crashed. Help needed restarting.

That Bingo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

Well in between getting married and a bunch of life stuff my tank crashed completely and went many weeks without a water change and no care. Before i moved took everything out and cleaned it all (it was all filled with algae) My question is what do i need to do to restart? Do i need to do anything with my lr that has been sitting out for a while now or do i just need to set up my tank and cycle it like normal? Any advice is welcome or an article to help me out.

Thank you so much!

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the tank.
I would start by putting the lr into a bin and cure it. If you have sand remove it and replace with brand new sand.

OP
OP
T

That Bingo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok sounds good i will do that. Here is my other question. My tank is the fluval 5 gallon evo. My clown fish seemed to have had a parasite when i bought him and possibly ich. Well at least he developed ich later on. I didn't have the resources to set up a hospital tank and he died and i didn't want to treat him in the display tank because of my coral and clean up crew which is part of the reason i stopped. This time around i am thinking i will buy my fish first before clean up crew or coral and make sure he is healthy (possibly treat him) which will eliminate the need of a quarantine tank. Once i am certain he is healthy i can add a clean up crew and coral. Is that a good plan or is there a better way of doing it without a second hospital tank? Any advice would be awesome.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally i wouldnt use any meds in a tank that was ever gonna house corals. They can seep into the silicone and leach back out into the water....

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 37.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back