Tank Cycle Numbers?

tescalante

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first time cycling a tank (Nuvo 14) I've been following Dr. Tim directions, and using Salifert test kits.
If I'm following the directions I should be adding a fish. From looking at my numbers it doesn't look like my tank has cycled?
I also use dry rock and live sand in my tanks FYI. (attached image for numbers)

1. Should I continue to be patient and test everyday and see if my numbers change?
2. Add a fish and continue to test?
3. Do a water change and continue testing daily?

Thanks
Tony

Screen Shot 2020-06-03 at 5.48.00 PM.png

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you have ammonia in the tank, it’s not done cycling. What is your ammonia source? Your nitrates are pretty high, so you’ll need to do a big water change before adding fish. Since you’re starting with dry rock/sand, the tank will take longer to cycle. I started the same way, with Dr. Tim’s, and dry rock/sand. My cycle took 3 weeks. You could always dose additional bacteria to help eliminate the ammonia. I actually used Biospira for the second dose of bacteria, and the tank finished cycling a day or two after that. Be patient, doing the cycle right will save you a lot of hassle down the road. Good luck!

OP
OP
tescalante

tescalante

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Dr. Tims Ammonia and followed the directions on their site for the cycle. So the suggestion would be to try Biospira and continue to test. Would you test everyday or every couple days? Once my ammonia is gone, do a water change then add my first fish. Remember to be patient.

Thanks
Tony

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Dr. Tims Ammonia and followed the directions on their site for the cycle. So the suggestion would be to try Biospira and continue to test. Would you test everyday or every couple days? Once my ammonia is gone, do a water change then add my first fish. Remember to be patient.

Thanks
Tony
Yes that should work. I would still test daily. If a day after you’ve added ammonia, your ammonia reading is zero, your tank is cycled!

OP
OP
tescalante

tescalante

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I be running any filtration at this time, media basket or protein skimmer? I’m currently just running my return pump and powerhead. When would be the best time to start?

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out my build HERE. I recorded my daily test on the first post and it took 30 days to cycle. I also used Dr Tims product btw.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I be running any filtration at this time, media basket or protein skimmer? I’m currently just running my return pump and powerhead. When would be the best time to start?
I would leave the skimmer off for now. You can turn it on after you start adding things.

OP
OP
tescalante

tescalante

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well being patient was a good call, tested again today and had a drop in my Ammonia. If I can maintain zero or less than 0.15 over the next few days I should be fine to add my first fish. I have not added any additional ammonia since 5/31, it was added 3 times previous. (see results)

Thanks
Tony

Screen Shot 2020-06-04 at 4.04.12 PM.png

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 47 51.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.8%
Back