Tank cycle

Aborch1218

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does green and brown algae mean the tank cycle is coming to a end? Ammonia is at zero nitrates 5ppm and nitrites are zero ph 7.8! Thanks for the help.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes it means cycle done. any new growths that have formed in a new set of rocks means time underwater, and boosters usually like bottle bac + feed, to get the growth you've seen. post a full tank pic.

by the time life has a chance to set up shop and produce new growth that originally wasn't there, before you started cycling, it means its cycled.

cycling charts show common timeframes, we move those up by adding bottle bac or any live rock.

*even if your testers did not agree, in most threads they don't, you'd still be cycled. rarely do all three line up as nicely

OP
OP
A

Aborch1218

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures

20200902_173723.jpg 20200902_173707.jpg

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the obviously darker rocks were easy, even the new white rocks have growth, nice

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Standard corals, now :)

the retail feed options are what make up lack of diverse food web.

About ten thousand dry rock start pico reefs can attest if you feed and change water, feed then change water as a busy mode, vs sitting there daily and not changed, you can start corals and keep them going decently as practice. Some caulastrea, zoanthids, or some mushroom frags will work. Be cleaning off rocks, uglies are setting in as we expect but go ahead and lift out rocks and clean them externally, set them back clean. It will not harm the cycle in the least, be active like a new garden is best bet. You don’t want an algae challenge they’re avoidable, with work, since the tank is new.

fish are likely to die of disease not cycling at all, you should only add fish after reading the fish disease forum and selecting a method that will make you not have to post there for disease help. Fish are added too fast in every new cycle. And repeat bought in eight months, to replace initial losses. We have ways to stop that, in the fish disease forum.

some corals clean up crews, now. At least things don’t have to be totally boring as you search disease control options and see if those ideas are used to cure diseases in the work forum

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See that little leg of live rock sticking out in the pic above and it’s casted some of its initial algae onto the surrounding substrate

that means all the substrate is cycled and we can discern timeframes underwater + boosters even if unstated. test kits back up visual cycling cues nicely here, I’m linking this thread to the microbiology of reef tank cycling thread which is 26 pages of testless reef cycling using visual benthic growth. Nice thread and pics here, useful for updated cycling science. Your tests are helpful to tie into what new growths say about a cycle

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back