Tank disaster

reefndude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank was running nearly 6 years. Moved a year ago with some losses to some of my prized sps. Knowing I was only going to be there a year I planned a better way to move my tank again.

Time to move again and tank is thriving. Set up a new tank and am now ready to start the move. Sunday night and whole house is moved and only thing left is my tank. Go in to feed fish before I go home. Everything looked normal and I head home prepared for tomorrow. Go in through front door and the house smells horrible. I knew something was wrong. See the tank from a distance and water is milky and stinky. Walk up and see all my sps is dying or already dead. Some zoas and the only two fish I had is still alive.
Very sad day for me. Any ideas what could kill my tank so quickly? Again only survivors were some zoas, yellow tang, and foxface

Hely'sreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my, that's terrible, that would be my worse nightmare. Might you have had a power outage for a couple of hours or something?

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry to hear this. Where there any chemicals, cleaners or aerosols used in cleaning the rest of the house after moving everything? Almost sounds like it could be some type of a contamination event.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank was running nearly 6 years. Moved a year ago with some losses to some of my prized sps. Knowing I was only going to be there a year I planned a better way to move my tank again.

Time to move again and tank is thriving. Set up a new tank and am now ready to start the move. Sunday night and whole house is moved and only thing left is my tank. Go in to feed fish before I go home. Everything looked normal and I head home prepared for tomorrow. Go in through front door and the house smells horrible. I knew something was wrong. See the tank from a distance and water is milky and stinky. Walk up and see all my sps is dying or already dead. Some zoas and the only two fish I had is still alive.
Very sad day for me. Any ideas what could kill my tank so quickly? Again only survivors were some zoas, yellow tang, and foxface
Any way organic matter was added to tank to cause a bacterial bloom? Did you happen to stir bottom up, etc.? Any cleaning materials that might have entered your system?

OP
OP
reefndude

reefndude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my, that's terrible, that would be my worse nightmare. Might you have had a power outage for a couple of hours or something?
Gfi was tripped. I really don't think that was the cause. Temp was still normal and tank survived hurrican matthew with power being out for numerous hours at a time

OP
OP
reefndude

reefndude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry to hear this. Where there any chemicals, cleaners or aerosols used in cleaning the rest of the house after moving everything? Almost sounds like it could be some type of a contamination event.
Tank was in its own room with nothing else in it. Only one in the room during move was myself and couple of buddies

Rufus’ goofs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really sorry to hear about your tank. That sounds absolutely dreadful.

If you were using any cleaners that could get into the air, they can still travel through the house ventilation.

That would be my guess.

OP
OP
reefndude

reefndude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really sorry to hear about your tank. That sounds absolutely dreadful.

If you were using any cleaners that could get into the air, they can still travel through the house ventilation.

That would be my guess.
My heart sank when I saw the tank
Airborne cleaners is possible. Only thing used that was out of the ordinary was oven cleaner. Used vinegar and water for most other cleaning

Rufus’ goofs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if it wasn't a cleaner, a lot of things get moved around that haven't been moved in years, and the emptier the house gets, the easier it is for air to travel and these things to stay airborne.
I could be 100% wrong though, and would be happy if that were the case.

Regardless of what happened, I'm still very sorry for the losses in your tank. I imagine it's quite devastating.

OP
OP
reefndude

reefndude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is possible but being in that house for less than 12 months I just don't see it. How quick it happened is what is killin me. All sps, most lps, snails died. Zoas, fish, and two emerald crabs survived

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is possible but being in that house for less than 12 months I just don't see it. How quick it happened is what is killin me. All sps, most lps, snails died. Zoas, fish, and two emerald crabs survived

That's the tell I think, the sudden widespread death.

Perhaps, if one were dosing carbon and driving a very high bacterial load, a brief power outage could cause very rapid oxygen depletion and such an event.

OP
OP
reefndude

reefndude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the tell I think, the sudden widespread death.

Perhaps, if one were dosing carbon and driving a very high bacterial load, a brief power outage could cause very rapid oxygen depletion and such an event.
No carbon dosing. All I ran was activated carbon, and 2 part

OP
OP
reefndude

reefndude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The same thing happened to me years ago. I think mine was caused by some frozen minnows that had been sitting out for about 4 hours then dumped in the tank.[/QUOTE
The unknown is what is bothering me

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To take out the whole tank like that? Maybe someone dumped something in the tank during the move?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gfi was tripped. I really don't think that was the cause. Temp was still normal and tank survived hurrican matthew with power being out for numerous hours at a time

You say the GFCI was tripped, did any of the equipment have a failure? Electrical short in the tank? Check your heater, pumps.....etc.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 91 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back