Tank Emergency!

Thomas Jedlicka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everybody!
Two days ago my fish all started breathing extremely fast. fish died and I had no idea why. The water parameters weren't bad. At the time there was no nitrite or ammonia. There was maybe 80 nitrate. Ph and alkalinity were fine. I added fish 6 days ago. The current water parameters are:

40 Nitrate
0 Nitrite
0 Ammonia
8 Ph
180 Alkalinity
82 degrees Fahrenheit (I know this is very high, I need to get a better heater.)

they are in a quarantine tank with a media reactor running with carbon at the moment no meds and three bubblers. I have an available supply of prazi-pro and copper power. in the tank is:

Slippery dick wrasse
emperor snapper
black spot tang
neon velvet damsel
gem tang
2 singapore butterflyfish
coral beauty
pencil wrasse
red coris wrasse
lamarck angel

the fish are breathing very rapidly and the gem tang, black spot, and coral beauty are not eating.

Urgent help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 997A5DF5-15DA-4B9E-8AF8-B631E4081388.mov
    28.7 MB

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nitrates were quite high, but rapid breathing sounds like something else. I'd suspect either low oxygen in the water, or possibly velvet. Do you quarantine?

Get the temperature down, fast. Warmer water holds less oxygen, and fish having trouble breathing need more oxygen.

Ribo15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the tank? That’s a lot of fish if it’s a small QT and the temp is high like you mentioned. Get that down and stable. Your picture didn’t work either.

OP
OP
Thomas Jedlicka

Thomas Jedlicka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates were quite high, but rapid breathing sounds like something else. I'd suspect either low oxygen in the water, or possibly velvet. Do you quarantine?

Get the temperature down, fast. Warmer water holds less oxygen, and fish having trouble breathing need more oxygen.
What do I do about marine velvet? I'll unplug the heater for now see if i have a heater I can use. SHould I freshwater dip? I do quarantine but these fish are in a 29. I know it is heavily overstocked but i kinda got stuck with these fish and I didn't want to risk my reef tank or my other display tank.

OP
OP
Thomas Jedlicka

Thomas Jedlicka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait, you added fish six days ago? All those fish at once? How big is this tank and how long has it been up and running?
Added 4 fish, tank has been up for over a year. Started with this tank then upgraded to a 270 now a 300. All of the new fish came from the same tank.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the salinity I don’t think you’ve confirmed that ?

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I completely blanked
Specific gravity is 1.020
Is that not very low ?

I work in ppt and the conversion would be around 26-27ppt as opposed to a normal target of 35 or 1.0264 sg

I would try bringing the salinity up slowly and see if that helps them out.

Back