Tank Fans

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reefers!

As the summer hits my tank went up to 80d. I have a temp probe that can turn on "something" when it hits highs or lows.

Should I install a fan under my stand? How about a PC fan that will draw air out or in? I can drill holes on the side and put a fan to it? Just a thought

Any ideas vs. getting a chiller?

Thanks!

Derbird

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't mind the look a fan on the main display would be more effective. More surface area along with more flow from not being in a stand.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello Reefers!

As the summer hits my tank went up to 80d. I have a temp probe that can turn on "something" when it hits highs or lows.

Should I install a fan under my stand? How about a PC fan that will draw air out or in? I can drill holes on the side and put a fan to it? Just a thought

Any ideas vs. getting a chiller?

Thanks!

Yes, a fan and water agitation will help. You can also review the heat transfer from pumps, lights, power heads, etc. the ambient temperature of the room will also have an impact. Depending on your inhabitants, 80F could be considered extremely hot and for others you still have several degrees of flexibility. I am curious what “heat sensitive” items you have in your tank and what temperature you are trying not to exceed?

NY_Sea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Stanley blower fan set on apex to go on when tanks gets too hot. It’s mounted on a shelf and blows across the surface of the water. This thing works like a chiller. Haha Drops temps quick and is reliable on apex. I Evaporate more a little water but that’s a good trade off to beat the summer heat

lvsuckerfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a fan over the top of all my tanks been doing so for years. Mostly because I run 400w MH. But it also helps to keep the temps down on my tank.

I do not have AC here in San Diego So I am not sure how this summer is going to affect my tank in my new house.

I just use a Small fan 6 inches or so. has High low and off settings

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new tank is 8’ long and it is in a “closed off” area along a 10’ wall, so basically there is a wall on one end and a pantry-closet wall that comes out 4’ or so on the other end. I am hoping to connect some aesthetically pleasing lights, one on each side, so 2’ away from each end of the tank and mounted about 3’ above water level and aimed at tank, connected to my apex..... I will be following along with this thread for sure.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking 2 of these, but not ones that look like this:

AA6DADAB-155E-45EF-9598-EB9AAAF5336D.png

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, a fan and water agitation will help. You can also review the heat transfer from pumps, lights, power heads, etc. the ambient temperature of the room will also have an impact. Depending on your inhabitants, 80F could be considered extremely hot and for others you still have several degrees of flexibility. I am curious what “heat sensitive” items you have in your tank and what temperature you are trying not to exceed?

I don’t know what a high temp for it is. Maybe 80d?

I have a lot of sps and some lps.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 43.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 91 33.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 43 15.9%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.8%
Back