Tank Filtration

newbreefr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
currently in the making of a 40b with 20L sump. Will be keeping softies and lps and would like a decent amount of fish. Should I run a skimmer or refugium or both? What makes one better than the other? If I use both then I’d have 5 gallons for the refugium

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They serve two different but related purposes. The skimmer will remove dissolved organics that made it pass the filter socks and before they become nitrates (hopefully) while the refugium with macro algae will export nitrates in the water column (when you prune the algae. So having both is nice but if one or the other, up to you.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer also helps with gas transfer and PH.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A fuge needs to large to help with nutrient export. It will help with PH and is a great place for a pod population to grow. A skimmer if sized correctly will do similar things. For your size tank I would recommend an ATS and a skimmer. I would make a DIY one because they are insanely cheap and easy to make yourself compared to buying one. I would then get an HOB fuge for the pods.

OP
OP
N

newbreefr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A fuge needs to large to help with nutrient export. It will help with PH and is a great place for a pod population to grow. A skimmer if sized correctly will do similar things. For your size tank I would recommend an ATS and a skimmer. I would make a DIY one because they are insanely cheap and easy to make yourself compared to buying one. I would then get an HOB fuge for the pods.
Would you recommend a fuge over a skimmer?
Sorry this is my first saltwater tank and not 100% sure on this subject

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both is best. You already have the sump so a fuge is no issue. Just get a light and put some chaeto in there.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you recommend a fuge over a skimmer?
Sorry this is my first saltwater tank and not 100% sure on this subject
Starting out, a skimmer is better. Most macros won't grow until you have nutrients available. Most fuges won't succeed for a few months. I run a fuge and love it. I will be setting up an ATS soon though. They do a better job of nutrient export.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back