Tank has finally arrived and now the fun begins....Have questions

FreshSaltyGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my 40 gallon tall tank. I would have bought a breeder long tank but as some of you know from my first post I got a steal on this and couldn't pass it up. So attached are pics of the tank obviously still wrapped until I can determine where to move it. The instructions that came with the tank are real bad so I'm hoping you all can help answer some questions I have. BTW the glass on the tank is 0.47" thick.

Here are my questions:
1.) What is the small box above "Biological Filter Media" that has holes in the bottom of it and a little drawer to pull out? What goes in there?

2.) As you can see it came with bags of Crushed coral and Bio Ceramic media. First do I take these out of the bags they came in and dump it into where it says "biological Filter Media" or keep it in the bags? Second part to that is I wanted to put Live sand with some CUC in the Filter media area and then maybe some of the crushed coral but not all of it, can I put the rest on the right side of the sump where the pump goes along with the bio ceramics?

3.) Is there a wrong way and right way to place the white floss stuff on that section of the tank? Is it normal for it to stick above the tank like it is now?

4.) Any idea where the 2 rectangular pieces of glass with the white frame is for and why is 1 of them cut at an angle?

5.) The top of the tank has that black cover with the holes in it. Since I'm putting a hanging light on the tank I can just remove that correct and get a screen mesh to go over the top?

6.) Since my sump is so small, and I have that basket think above the filter media section, where in the heck do I place a light for the algae and any plants that I'll be keeping in there?

7.) The flow pipes go up through the bottom back right of the tank is this ok and safe to have this kind of setup?

Any other advice for this size tank/sump etc.. I'd really appreciate.

Thank you all again for all the help!

PXL_20221004_153134007.jpg PXL_20221004_153210699.jpg PXL_20221004_154235041.jpg PXL_20221004_154247344.jpg PXL_20221004_154324719.jpg PXL_20221004_154435873.jpg PXL_20221004_154923655.jpg

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, let me be blunt: whoever built that tank has no idea what they are doing. My 100G rimless uses that thickness glass with no braces. That overflow/return setup is an engineering disaster. And that sump is something out of the 90’s. My 100G rimless with external overflow, drilled returns, and 34” stand cost just slightly more than retail on that one. I’m glad you got this cheap, no way is it worth what they are charging.

Now, what can we do to fix things?
1) I would add a regular overflow box. https://melevsreef.com/reefshop/acrylic-products/overflow-boxes/left-corner-overflow-box or similar.

2) I would remove the funky plumbing and go with a regular bulkhead fitting, a Durso standpipe, and standard fittings. I’m not a fan of custom plumbing as it’s hard to get replacements.

3) I would route the return over the back wall of the tank.

4) I would remove the drip tray from the sump and look into a skimmer that will fit in your stand. There may not be many options given how short the stand is. I know Tunze makes one that sits inside the tank or sump that may fit.

Hope that helps.

Upvote 1

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who makes this tank?
That looks like an old school trickle filter.
Sorry, I'm not sure what goes where.
Doesn't look like this sump has a Refugium section.
Those glass pieces probably cover the right side of the sump, with the angle cut out of the corner for your return plumbing.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

FreshSaltyGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who makes this tank?
That looks like an old school trickle filter.
Sorry, I'm not sure what goes where.
Doesn't look like this sump has a Refugium section.
Those glass pieces probably cover the right side of the sump, with the angle cut out of the corner for your return plumbing.
Made by Aqua Dream. Old school trickle filter? Good/bad? It came with a submersible pump that says pumps 320gph. Also regarding the refugium....where can I add one if possible?

Upvote 0

dstockwell

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

FreshSaltyGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upvote 0

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you plan on keeping in this tank? Fish only?

I'm just noticing now there is no overflow in the tank either. The pump is pretty small too for a reef.
I feel like this is a tank from 10-20 years ago. Are you looking to keep coral, too? Because that lighting is not going to support much. The idea of a trickle filter was low flow and letting the media build up a good bacteria population but they have gone out of fashion for live rock and sand in the display and high flow.
Man... I hate to tell you this but I would have gotten a Red Sea Reefer 200 G2 over this in a heartbeat

Have you done much research here? I would spend a lot of time looking at some of the other builds here to see what other people are doing. Find similar size tanks to what you are thinking.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

FreshSaltyGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm just noticing now there is no overflow in the tank either. The pump is pretty small too for a reef.
I feel like this is a tank from 10-20 years ago. Are you looking to keep coral, too? Because that lighting is not going to support much. The idea of a trickle filter was low flow and letting the media build up a good bacteria population but they have gone out of fashion for live rock and sand in the display and high flow.
Man... I hate to tell you this but I would have gotten a Red Sea Reefer 200 G2 over this in a heartbeat

Have you done much research here? I would spend a lot of time looking at some of the other builds here to see what other people are doing. Find similar size tanks to what you are thinking.
I posted another post on this but don't mind sharing here again if that's ok. I come from 20 years of Fresh water planted tanks. This is my first jump into saltwater. I like BIG challenges when it comes to fish keeping etc.. I know already a long tank would have been better than a tall tank for the majority of keepers. I got this entire setup for $100 brand new so I can't complain to be honest and that's why I jumped on it and all that money I saved can go into getting good equipment (lighting, live rock etc..). I've done research for a long time now off and on for a few years but decided recently to just jump in. However, there is still A LOT I kind of understand or don't understand at all, and I'm hoping you all can help. I don't plan on keeping much, I want to concentrate on a more natural environment (i.e. lots of sea lettuce, macro algae, etc..) to work naturally against ammonia, nitrates & Phosphates. So on that note I plan on having LOTS of live rock, live sand, once the tank settles and I start seeing algae grow, bring in a good size CUC along with 2 fish to start (Clownfish maybe). Then let that tank settle more, get healthy lots of bacteria, ensuring numbers are kept in check. Once that is done I will move onto soft corals, and I'll like to keep some LPS but not sure yet.
This is where my concern comes in with no refugium. Should I split the the section I have in there where the media goes and make that part of my refugium and remove the trickle filter section completely? These are the questions I need help with.
Will it be challenging....I'm sure it will be. Impossible? No and I'd like to do my part in this community to run that experiment. In the other post I had, we went over lighting and Wave makers etc.. but I'm totally open to what you recommend etc..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

FreshSaltyGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also, the submersible pump it came looks to be a upgrade from the one mentioned on their site as the one I have doe 320gph. What would you say would be minimum needed? Also, possible to make my own overflow and get it to work with what I have?

Upvote 0

dcsorrell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted another post on this but don't mind sharing here again if that's ok. I come from 20 years of Fresh water planted tanks. This is my first jump into saltwater. I like BIG challenges when it comes to fish keeping etc.. I know already a long take would have been better for tall tank for the majority of keepers. I got this entire setup for $100 brand new so I can't complain to be honest and that's why I jumped on it and all that money I saved can go into getting good equipment (lighting, live rock etc..).
Freshwater was my first experience, too. I'd have jumped on a deal like that, and I have little doubt that even with what you'll spend on modifications, you saved money. I just spent about $300 just on my new ten gallon tank and drop in AIO filter, and that's not even half what it's ending up costing me to fully set up and get the live sand and rock I plan to add.

Upvote 0

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted another post on this but don't mind sharing here again if that's ok. I come from 20 years of Fresh water planted tanks. This is my first jump into saltwater. I like BIG challenges when it comes to fish keeping etc.. I know already a long take would have been better for tall tank for the majority of keepers. I got this entire setup for $100 brand new so I can't complain to be honest and that's why I jumped on it and all that money I saved can go into getting good equipment (lighting, live rock etc..). I've done research for a long time now off and on for a few years but decided recently to just jump in. However, there is still A LOT I kind of understand or don't understand at all, and I'm hoping you all can help. I don't plan on keeping much, I want to concentrate on a more natural environment (i.e. lots of sea lettuce, macro algae, etc..) to work naturally against ammonia, nitrates & Phosphates. So on that note I plan on having LOTS of live rock, live sand, once the tank settles and I start seeing algae grow, bring in a good size CUC along with 2 fish to start (Clownfish maybe). Then let that tank settle more, get healthy lots of bacteria, ensuring numbers are kept in check. Once that is done I will move onto soft corals, and I'll like to keep some LPS but not sure yet.
This is where my concern comes in with no refugium. Should I split the the section I have in there where the media goes and make that part of my refugium and remove the trickle filter section completely? These are the questions I need help with.
Will it be challenging....I'm sure it will be. Impossible? No and I'd like to do my part in this community to run that experiment. In the other post I had, we went over lighting and Wave makers etc.. but I'm totally open to what you recommend etc..
Holy moly, 100 bucks?! Deal of the century.

In that case... I would get a new sump at least. Then we'll see what we can do about that plumbing and possibly getting you an overflow.

You can get controllable pumps. Or use a gate valve to dial back one that is a little to powerful. You never get the rated flow after calculating head rate and your plumbing. What you have is ok for now but might want to upgrade a bit in the future.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

FreshSaltyGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

In that case... I would get a new sump at least. Then we'll see what we can do about that plumbing and possibly getting you an overflow.

You can get controllable pumps. Or use a gate valve to dial back one that is a little to powerful. You never get the rated flow after calculating head rate and your plumbing. What you have is ok for now but might want to upgrade a bit in the future.
Well thank you glad to hear I got a decent deal I was starting to 2nd guess my deal LOL. I'm sure I can make it work and with awesome people on this Forum who have helped me so far, I think I'm in good hands :) Thanks!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

FreshSaltyGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freshwater was my first experience, too. I'd have jumped on a deal like that, and I have little doubt that even with what you'll spend on modifications, you saved money. I just spent about $300 just on my new ten gallon tank and drop in AIO filter, and that's not even half what it's ending up costing me to fully set up and get the live sand and rock I plan to add.
Ok so in the pics you see the little black clips holding the tank, since I couldn't remove the back or side (didn't really see a way. I tried removing the clips but the tank still didn't budge it's in there really good however they secured it. So I took pics from the top looking down, as well as with the trickle drawer open and then from the from trying to look into the back. So in the entire large rectangle tank there is a piece of glass that basically splits it 50/50 with about a 1" inch gap or so on the bottom. I really want a spot for a refugium or somewhere where I can host the sea lettuce, macro algae, etc..

Attachments

• 20221004_140823.jpg
    20221004_140823.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 20221004_140854.jpg
    20221004_140854.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 20221004_140903.jpg
    20221004_140903.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 20221004_140911.jpg
    20221004_140911.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 37
  • 20221004_140951.jpg
    20221004_140951.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 36
Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

FreshSaltyGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Any ideas on a new sump that will fit in that small space for a 36 gallon tank like this? The space I have available is 19"L x 14" deep x 20" tall and the length leave only about 4" to mount power strip etc.. Also what GPH flow should I look for in a submersible pump any recommended ones that won't break the bank LOL.

Upvote 0

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, not so much a sump as a glass trickle filter, bio ceramic media goes up top, crushed coral in zone 2. Nitrate removal will be a huge issue, but nothing that can't be overcome. If you have porous live rock, the deep pores can become anoxic enough to finish the nitrogen. You're really going to want to cycle this thoroughly, Don't let Brandon tell you a 7 day cycle is enough for this one.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

FreshSaltyGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, more interested in the display tank.
Here you go. I do have a question....any idea what the square shape glass at the top of the tank is for? Is it needed? I just put the pipe in there so far haven't really done any plumbing setup yet.

Attachments

• PXL_20221004_220356612.jpg
    PXL_20221004_220356612.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 34
  • PXL_20221004_220404293.jpg
    PXL_20221004_220404293.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 32
  • PXL_20221004_220421596.jpg
    PXL_20221004_220421596.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 27
  • PXL_20221004_220432903.jpg
    PXL_20221004_220432903.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 32
Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 160 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back