Tank Heater in Florida?

Jo P White

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I've been running my 90g since July and being in South Florida and using air conditioning all the time my tank runs at 74-77 degrees regularly. I'm trying to plan ahead to when we have those handful of "winter" days here in Fort Lauderdale and trying to decide if its worth getting a heater to keep the tank at that temp when our weather drops and the AC can't keep up. We don't use the heater feature down here!

Any other Floridians in a similar situation? What do you do? If I did need a heater, what would you suggest for a 90g that's reliable? I don't use any kind of auto controller system so I definitely need something that's safe. I've heard horror stories about heaters which is one of the reasons I haven't bothered with one when I can manage fine without it.

Thanks for your help R2R!

xjiang7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in Gainesville so I do have heater in winter months-like two or three months. I took it out when weather warms up. I would say for a short period it’s a low chance for any new, popular heaters to misbehave

Xavierwally

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm from Spring Hill, Fl and I have a 40 gallon breeder. Like you, I don't use an auto controller system. I use a Cobalt Aquatics Neo-Therm 100 Watt Heater, It keeps my tank at 78.0-78.5 degrees. I would suggest a Cobalt Aquatics Neo-Therm 300 Watt Heater.

OP
OP
Jo P White

Jo P White

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in Pompano bch area...don't use a heater...but ya never know we do get those rare winter's that drop down a bit in temp
That's what I'm worried about. What if we get that random week that's actually cold and the temp drops to the 60s? I'm worried about the corals and fish not handling that drastic, sustained change for several days to a week.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back