Tank is wet, bacteria added... Now what?

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title states.

I recently set up my new Waterbox Peninsula 4820(105G Total 80Dispaly 25G Sump), and it's been sitting around not doing much (Mid June). I started ghost feeding it the first week of July

I added 4oz of Turbostart
10G of water from my older tank
40 Pounds of live sand
A couple of random pieces of live rock from a fellow reefer
A bag filled with AquaChar which I'm sure its filled with bacteria
50+ pounds of Marco rock (Marco cement + Super Glue) to hold it together

I'm currently running 3 radions XR15 Pro Gen 5 at 50% point intensity from 12 to 5 pm with 100% blues 10% Whites

So far the tank is pretty clean I haven't seen the slightest bit of algae or anything.
SeaChem Ammonia badge reads 0 and has been reading 0 for weeks. I have not tested Nitrates, Phosphates or Nitrite

I added 2 clowns last week Wednesday, one died yesterday. It was perfectly fine eating and swimming up until Sunday. Noticed it was hiding in the rock. Came home Monday from work and it was dead:(
When I received the clowns they were very small and somewhat skinny. I'm going to blame the death on that. They were both ate up until Sunday. The remaining one is very active and swimming and eating

What's my new course of action for the tank to start getting it dirty to prepare it for more fish and its first corals?

Also, this is my 2nd tank.
A96102AC-8D55-47B4-BBDF-A3B0625D7729.jpeg
8963E38C-48ED-4D00-AD3C-2F2170DE9EBD.jpeg
FFD4E918-7DE3-42DC-8E2A-62ED51B77B3B.jpeg
B7AAABCB-21CF-4A14-8756-F31556B37A0D.jpeg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cycle is done

next step, fallow and qt all future additions and it’ll lower/stop the delayed fish losses

very nice system for sure

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cycle is done

next step, fallow and qt all future additions and it’ll lower/stop the delayed fish losses

very nice system for sure
Unfortunately, setting up a QT tank is a bit of a problem with the wife. Nowhere to put it.

Typically I used to get all my fish from an LFS that QT their stuff but they recently went out of business...

Edit: Should I wait for some algae before I add a small Zoa colony from my older tank?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to mention I also have a small bag of RowaPhos in the sump just incase. Said on their instructions its a good idea to put in a new tank.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordering from pre qt online sources will be perfect, but the tank needs to run fallow a good while before

phos absorbers are matter of choice among setups it’s ok to use if you like

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordering from pre qt online sources will be perfect, but the tank needs to run fallow a good while before

phos absorbers are matter of choice among setups it’s ok to use if you like
Well, I cant really go fallow because I still have one clown in the tank.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everybody skips it once :) give management vs strict prevention a try/ buy healthy specimens and if it fails again then redo the hard way. Some keepers can deal without qt and fallow / Paul has many friends that don’t use it, they feed exceptionally well as a trade off, consider that. Make up in feed quality what you’re skipping on disease prep.

by make up for it, I’m meaning fresh seafood prep nearly daily, trips to the store bi weekly for seafood perishables. Clams, scallops, nori, you’re a trainer and your job is to bodybuild fish.

what does the majority do: skip fallow, skip qt, and McDonald’s it up with retail frozen fish feed.

in that mode, all the new fish will die by December. If that was bad statistics, the disease forum here would be a slow, slow non input forum. It’s the single most active begging for help forum on the internet. If you made a Reddit space that all thirteen year olds could use to discuss minecraft, that would be half as busy as our own fish disease, cranking out the crypto please help forum.

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since a large amount of bacteria was added, ammonia should not have been a problem with two fish. Complete guess, but I would give it 50/50 the clown had brook or velvet.

I'll never get, not quarantining. Two clowns could be quarantined in a 5 gallon bucket. All of my small fish get TTM in 2.5 gallons of water. I even put my yellow tang through TTM in 5 gallon buckets. If brook or velvet is in the tank now, you are kind of screwed.

I really like the tank and aquascape. Give it time, it will dirty up soon if you are running the lights. Your white rock will turn brown. Start with a couple of cheap corals and go from there.

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everybody skips it once :) give management vs strict prevention a try/ buy healthy specimens and if it fails again then redo the hard way. Some keepers can deal without qt and fallow / Paul has many friends that don’t use it, they feed exceptionally well as a trade off, consider that. Make up in feed quality what you’re skipping on disease prep.

by make up for it, I’m meaning fresh seafood prep nearly daily, trips to the store bi weekly for seafood perishables. Clams, scallops, nori, you’re a trainer and your job is to bodybuild fish.

what does the majority do: skip fallow, skip qt, and McDonald’s it up with retail frozen fish feed.

in that mode, all the new fish will die by December. If that was bad statistics, the disease forum here would be a slow, slow non input forum. It’s the single most active begging for help forum on the internet. If you made a Reddit space that all thirteen year olds could use to discuss minecraft, that would be half as busy as our own fish disease, cranking out the crypto please help forum.

Since a large amount of bacteria was added, ammonia should not have been a problem with two fish. Complete guess, but I would give it 50/50 the clown had brook or velvet.

I'll never get, not quarantining. Two clowns could be quarantined in a 5 gallon bucket. All of my small fish get TTM in 2.5 gallons of water. I even put my yellow tang through TTM in 5 gallon buckets. If brook or velvet is in the tank now, you are kind of screwed.

I really like the tank and aquascape. Give it time, it will dirty up soon if you are running the lights. Your white rock will turn brown. Start with a couple of cheap corals and go from there.

5524DF4D-73CF-422A-B78C-643B9E34BD18.jpeg

Fish Saturday night at 1am

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They looked nice in the video for sure

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back